RMBP, 8 GB or 16 GB (windows virtualizations etc etc)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Muffin87, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Muffin87 macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on buying a RMBP this month, I can't afford a 2.6 so I'm going for a a 2.3.
    If I really needed it I could upgrade to 16 GB of RAM.

Considering RAM isn't upgradable later, I'd like to have some opinions to understand if spending 200€ on 16 GB of RAM is worth it considering what i've got to do.

- Windows Virtualization
    Most likely I'll be using stupid windows applications and I'd like to have a completely responding machine while I'm virtualizing.
    The stupid windows programs I need to use aren't particularly processor-intensive, yet I'd still be virtualizing windows programs in Windows XP-compatible mode, which could consume a bit, or is it not the case?
    (I've always run XP so far)
    I've already tried with CrossOver Wine, but they aren't really popular applications so they aren't supported.
    Basically they are applications to manage libraries of dictionaries to be installed on electronic dictionaries, but I'm really tired of having my mac slowed down each time I need to open them, so it'd be cool if my prospective RMBP could handle a virtualized windows with light apps running without noticeably slowing down OS X running tons of safari tabs and Instant messaging, mail... the usual stuff.

- Tons of Safari/Chrome tabs
    I like to have tons of Safari/Chrome tabs opened, I'm wondering if having 16 GB instead of 8 GB would make my next RMBP running really more smoothly when I have tons of tabs opened, I guess that's the case, am I right?

- Video conversion
    I understand conversion is a processor-intensive task that has little to do with RAM directly. I don't mind that the compression takes a lot of time, but does more RAM mean a snappier mac when it's compressing?
    I usually compress with HandBrake or Apple Compressor.

The idea would be that even when I'm compressing a video with HandBrake I could still open a light windows application on VMware fusion with my tabs and my instant messaging application not slowing down too much.
    Upgrade to 16 GB or stay with 8 GB?

I usually use a 2.4 Ghz Peryn Core 2 Duo MBP with 4 GB of RAM... and OS X gets somewhat slow when I'm virtualizing without any application opened.

Thanks in advance for the insight,

2. hashholly macrumors 6502

Go with 16GB, because frankly if you end up needing more ram down the line, or end up using more ram hungry programs down the line you are set.

3. s0mojo macrumors newbie

s0mojo

I'm on the fence for this, coming from Windows, max I've ever used was 4GB but if this RMBP is going to be my main machine, 8GB will do me fine for atleast 5-6 years like my desktop

4. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Even if you don't think you will need it , the extra cost to go 16GB is not very much and we all know now that it can never be upgraded so I'd go 16GB no matter what you are using it for right now.

5. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

as always, buy as much machine as you can afford.

worst case, you buy 8GB. in 18 months if you find yourself needing 16, sell it and buy another. MBP's hold their value well.