rMBP 802.11ac in Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aj8690, Mar 16, 2014.

1. aj8690 macrumors member

aj8690

Has anyone successfully connected via 802.11ac in Windows under Boot Camp? My late 2013 rMBP shows that the Broadcom 802.11ac card is installed properly in Windows with driver version 6.30.223.215 (the latest version from Apple Boot Camp drivers), but I cannot connect to my AirPort Extreme higher than 802.11n. 802.11ac works fine in OS X, but I've tried different drivers under Windows 7 and cannot get a 802.11ac connection.

I've searched everywhere and can't figure it out. If I'm missing something or someone has been able to connect 802.11ac in Windows, help please? What driver are you using?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. aj8690 thread starter macrumors member

aj8690

I guess no one runs Boot Camp with an 802.11AC device. :rolleyes:

3. Lipid macrumors member

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

How do you check if connected on AC in windows?

5. aj8690 thread starter macrumors member

aj8690

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize there was a newer driver as I've been digging and digging. I am running Windows 7 (can't stand 8), and unfortunately the installer wouldn't launch, citing an unsupported operating system (I think it's for 8+). I tried manually installing the driver files in device manager instead of going through the installer, but Window's 7 just won't take them. :/ I'm not sure what else to do. I guess I just have to wait for Apple to release an updated Boot Camp driver, because I have searched and tinkered for hours and cannot get an ac connection.

Click the network notification icon by the clock and hover over your network. A tool tip pops up with the network name, signal strength, security type, and radio type. I can not get an AC radio type even though I have Apple's AC router. I am able to connect just fine with an AC connection. I'm not sure if there needs to be a Boot Camp driver update for Windows 7 from Apple, or if it's a Microsoft issue. :sigh:

If anyone else has been able to connect to AC in Windows 7 on a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

6. jenzjen, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014

jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'm on W8.1, so I could not see it the way you noted, but I do see my rate at 216.5mbps, and I'm about 15 feet LOS from the AC extreme so looks like the same limitation, right?

Rebooted into OSX, now I see 1300mbps as my rate so does seem like Windows drivers need an update.

See here, this helped me understand the data rates https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5570606

7. aj8690 thread starter macrumors member

aj8690

Thanks. Ah, I didn't realize you were on 8.1. Honestly, I hated 8 so I don't have much experience with it. But I THINK if you run this in elevated command prompt (cmd.exe) it will show the radio types. At least it did in previous versions of Windows, I'm pretty sure.

Code:
    netsh wlan show networks mode=ssid

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Tried this but didn't work, showed the wifi's that were broadcasting their SSIDs and nothing about radio type. In any event, I think you're right because the data rata that shows on airport utility is still only 216 when booted in 8.1 but goes to 1000 when booted to Mavericks. Remember, I saw 1300 when I was right next to the router the other day.

Even though, I'm getting the full +100 down on both Win and Mac just now so that radio rate cap doesn't seem limiting yet beyond internal stuff.

9. aj8690 thread starter macrumors member

aj8690

Yeah, I get full speed on my internet connection as well, it's just a little annoying knowing I have AC but can only use N. I'll just wait for an update because I've wasted so much time trying to get it to work in AC when in reality I probably won't notice much of a difference.

10. dxs1929 macrumors newbie

MacBook 2014 won't connet with 802.11ac

I just got my airport extream 6th gen and my Mac book pro 2014 won't connect with 802.11 ac only the 802.11n/g is there any thing I have to do to my Mac

11. hiro14 macrumors newbie

Task Manager shows wireless connection types.

The task manager will/should show you the connection type under the network section. I have a fresh rMBP 2013 and I just installed Windows 8.1 with bootcamp version 5.1. I see it says my connection type is 802.11n. I was hoping it would say 802.11ac. Anyone have any luck? I will post back with results of my tinkering. Hopefully I don't get any BSODs while messing with drivers.

12. andeify, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

I seem to be on the 802.11ac protocol, but I only seem to get speeds of 17MB/s, should be getting something in the region of 55MB/s.
    ac.PNG

EDIT : Never mind, Seems to be running properly now, I think I was getting low results as I was copying some contents of a disc image on my server and the decompression must have been slowing it down.