Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yth

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
I pulled out my receipt from my Powerbook G4 which I purchased with the Educ. discount. It cost more than the RMBP. Remember awhile back Apple lowered their prices on MBP. Now when I factor in the RMBP with an external disc drive and 1 adapter, I still come out cheaper than my PB G4. Grant it my Powerbook with Tiger has some cool Apps on it, like having the ability to SMS text from Address book, and with that whole Sherlock thing. But Lion has something similar.

Then I'm not sure if Apple has corrected the problems they had with the LCD screen. So, spending $239 for AppleCAre on a gadget that you will take outside the home, throw it in a bag, is really nothing. Really??? It's about spending $0.30 a day = AppleCare for 2years. That's really nothing considering you have full coverage. oH and total cost is cheaper than what MacBooks cost 7yrs ago. btw AppleCare use to cost $250 with the educ. discount, so you are saving an additional $30.

How logical

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
So, spending $239 for AppleCAre on a gadget that you will take outside the home, throw it in a bag

Except that none of that is covered by Apple Care. AC only covers manufacturing defects (which are covered here in the UK by the Sale of Goods act which requires goods to be of merchantable quality, which includes not failing for a reasonable period, which, for. a £3K laptop is more than 12 months). AC does not cover accidental damage, that's what insurance is for.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I think you were the guy who was talking a few years ago about how you get a new machine every year and sell your old one. The difference wasn't much more than AC and you always had a new machine. I was amazed and I followed your advice and have been enjoying a new machine each year. It's true, especially if you sell on CL. The price difference is usually small, especially if you get a well spec'd machine that will sell for a premium. I just consider it a yearly operating cost and always have a new, fast machine with a warranty. Can't beat it!

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE...if it was you, lol. :D

I highly recommend this plan.

Don't know if it was me since I'm not alone in peddling this plan, but glad to hear you took the leap and saw for yourself how much more cost efficient and enjoyable it is vs. paying for AC and keeping a machine for 3 years.

cherishzm

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
I pulled out my receipt from my Powerbook G4 which I purchased with the Educ. discount. It cost more than the RMBP. Remember awhile back Apple lowered their prices on MBP. Now when I factor in the RMBP with an external disc drive and 1 adapter, I still come out cheaper than my PB G4. Grant it my Powerbook with Tiger has some cool Apps on it, like having the ability to SMS text from Address book, and with that whole Sherlock thing. But Lion has something similar.

Then I'm not sure if Apple has corrected the problems they had with the LCD screen. So, spending $239 for AppleCAre on a gadget that you will take outside the home, throw it in a bag, is really nothing. Really??? It's about spending $0.30 a day = AppleCare for 2years. That's really nothing considering you have full coverage. oH and total cost is cheaper than what MacBooks cost 7yrs ago. btw AppleCare use to cost $250 with the educ. discount, so you are saving an additional $30.

This $.30 a day cost approach that makes unaffordable expenses to look and sound much more affordable and easier to swallow led to the financial disaster.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Except that none of that is covered by Apple Care. AC only covers manufacturing defects (which are covered here in the UK by the Sale of Goods act which requires goods to be of merchantable quality, which includes not failing for a reasonable period, which, for. a £3K laptop is more than 12 months). AC does not cover accidental damage, that's what insurance is for.

Every manufacture has different warrantee. I have a Nikon camera and their coverage is different for each region. i.e. Canada, UK, US all have different coverage. Yeah I understand that people want to cover accidental but I can't see a manufacture covering someone's accident. If that was the case then car manufactures will offer insurance.

This $.30 a day cost approach that makes unaffordable expenses to look and sound much more affordable and easier to swallow led to the financial disaster.

:) So far on my current MBP I've had over $700 in repairs. I'm not mad because it's a refurb. Plus if you buy with the Education discount, you're basically saving $250 plus you get a $100 gift card. It's like getting a free extended warrantee. That's a good deal.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
It happens but most failures occur in the first year (or many, many years after).

Source? My 2007 MBP needed its logic board replaced; its fans replaced; its battery replaced; its magsafe replaced.

All those failures happened starting about 2 years in. Luckily I had Applecare so it was free.

----------

No what lead o the disaster was people not actually putting 0.30 in the piggy bank each day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.