rMBP Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xWhiplash, Apr 23, 2013.

1. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

So I am looking for a laptop and I want the retina. However, there are a lot of threads about ghosting and graphical issues. Is this a widely known problem? I know some will have issues, but it seems they all do?

Does the 13" perform better than the 15" one (in terms of ghosting)?

I would like to get the top end stock 15" one, but I am concerned with these ghosting issues.

I know no device / hardware has 100% successful, but it seems like everyone that has the retina has these issues.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It only seems like that because people come on forums to complain. In reality, many to most people ahve no problem/couldn't notice it if they did. If you get IR in a machine, just return it for a refund or replacement or replacement panel if it is past 14 days. The 13" is not better performing in terms of ghosting. It is a draw.

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

You're going to get a different answer from everyone, but keep in mind the majority of people who comment will do so to complain. When you're having issues, anyone who pipes up in your thread to say "well mine works just fine!" automatically gets sh*tlisted. Who wants dissenting opinions when all you're really looking for is sympathy? :)

That said- had a 2012 model with issues, returned it, got a 2013 model without issues. YMMV.

4. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

is ot the samsung or lg one that ghost? i havent had this problem and i got mines on launch 15''

5. Bear macrumors G3

The display panel that had the ghosting issues was revised by the hardware manufacturer and in theory the ghosting issue is fixed.

6. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Should I wait for the new ones to cycle through the current stock, or will it be fine to buy one now?

Also, do you guys recommend Retail store or Online? Or does it matter?

7. Bear macrumors G3

If you're buying from Apple, buying now is fine. As to whether to go into the store or buying online. If you want to customize it in any way you will need to order it online. For a stock unit buying from an Apple Store in person will work.

8. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Do the stores have the various configurations to choose from in the store?

For example, there are two standard 15" configurations and you can customize from there. Will the stores have both configurations to choose from, or just one?

I would like the stock 15-inch: 2.7GHz with Retina display at $2,799.00. Will that be available at the store?

9. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Both standard configurations are carried in stores.

10. Bear macrumors G3

In general the standard(base) configurations you see online will be available at the Apple Stores, however, a store could be out of stock on a particular configuration. Sometimes they even have other configurations like an "Ultimate" configuration.

11. ColdCase macrumors 68030

They generally have a good selection of the standard systems. The typically don't stock BTO options but sometimes have the popular options.

Call the store as inventory from store to store varies. You can also deliver a custom config to the store for pickup if you prefer that over delivery.

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Stores in my area typically carry three models for each laptop. The two stock and a "best" option which is usually maxed out. I got a 13" rMBP 3.0GHz i7 with 512GB SSD from the standard best option at my local Apple store.

13. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

So a rMBP is definitely a good choice then? Or should I wait / get the regular MBP instead?

14. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Retina, even for the average computer user, is a great choice simply for the fact that you avoid a lot of eye strain/fatigue. I use a regular PC screen all day and it causes fatigue.. yet I can use the retina macbook for hours with no ill effects (oppositely, your eyes are attracted to it for long periods! lol).

If it's the ability to upgrade on your own, MBP standard would be the better option.

15. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

I do not plan to upgrade on my own. How does the SSD stand up to after-market ones?

The i7 and ram is nice. Will it be able to handle After Effects well? I wont use it that much, I have the 2010 Mac Pro for the really heavy rendering. If I am out of town or something, I would like to be able to work on my projects if I need to.

16. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I can't speak to ssd speed versus after market as I've only use hdd before this laptop.

I've also got the base 13" rMBP so I'll let others answers about your specific software questions.

Just a vote for retina from a happy customer.

17. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The i7 will work great for anything not too major.

18. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you consider major? My first generation i7 at 2.6Ghz Dell desktop is able to render full 1080p videos with After Effects no problem.

19. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Quad core or dual core?

20. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Quad.

How much performance loss will I expect with the rMBP?

As I said, I have the 6-core Mac Pro for the heavy rendering. But there will be some cases where I will not have access to my Mac Pro and need to use the laptop. Will it perform fine rendering?

21. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Not very much performance loss. That is Nehalem/Westmere, when the current i7 is Ivy Bridge. That is 45 nm to 22 nm process with improvements in GPU, CPU, and power consumption (that does not matter with the MacPro as much). The 13" rMBP is a very capable machine, and as long as you do not try to do something that would take all 6 (or twelve) cores on the MacPro, as it only has 2 real and 4 virtual cores it will be fine. It should perform fine rendering.

22. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Isn't the 15" rMBP a quad core? Does it have virtual cores as well, or no?

23. B... macrumors 68000

B...

13" and 15" have hyperthreading.

Four cores or 13", and eight for the 15".

24. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info!

I guess I will be visiting the store tomorrow!

25. maxosx macrumors 68020

Everything no matter who builds it is a bit of a gamble, that's why they have warranties. Buy now and see how you do.

Apple's got a great customer service department and they're fine with warranty work as well. Always rating very highly.