rMBP always connected to charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lightning inc., Jun 7, 2015.

1. lightning inc. macrumors regular

Hi
    My new rMBP (With force touch) is pretty much always connected to charger.
    I am some times pull the charger for few hours.
    Is it healthy? (In normal situation I would pull out the battery when connected to charger but I can't)

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

You should discharge and fully recharge maybe once a month or so. Otherwise you risk having shorter battery life in the future. Which may not be an issue if you never plan to use it anyway.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Do you give any thought to your cell phone's battery? It uses the very same technology.

Don't worry about it, use it however you please, you're not going to damage anything by leaving it plugged in. Pulling the battery when plugged into the wall for a Mac has been useless to do for the last 10 years or so. In fact, Macs throttle down to 50% power with no battery installed. Whoever's still doing that is living in the past. This isn't a NiCad or NiMH battery.

4. bniu macrumors 6502a

No need to even think about it, just plug in when you want, leave plugged in for weeks on end if you desire, take on the go when you need, the battery is for Apple to worry about. Ever since I bought a MacBook Pro many years ago that had the sealed batteries, I quit caring about battery maintenance and health. Haven't had any issues at all.

5. joeszef1 macrumors member

joeszef1

was about to ask the same thing but thanks for all the inputs.

6. gordian, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

gordian macrumors member

It will be an issue because if your battery completely dies then even when it's plugged in the system will automatically downclock the CPU and your system will run noticeably slower. This happened to me and that was what a Genius told me.

7. lightning inc. thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for your comments!
    I will sleep better tonight :)