rMBP and Android tethering.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maggot FF, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

I need some help guys! :p The connection at where I am right now is driving me crazy.

So, a week or two ago my own internet provider had some issues in my area, and we went without proper internet connection for 24 hours or so, but it was no issue as i just tethered my S3 and my mac (using wifi tethering). I have 100GB of data use every month on my contract, so it's no problem. Everything went smooth. I could surf, stream 1080p, listen to music, download files and whatnot.
    However, now i cannot for the life of me tether my S3 and my rMBP again!

All i get is an connection timeout. I've tried wpa, wpa2, open and whatnot on wifi tethering. With USB-tethering i have tried a lot of stuff as i have found articles on it, but to no avail. The only thing i could get to work is bluetooth tethering, but the connection is about as slow as the wifi i have access to, so i found no use of it.

My cellular connection here is HSPA+, so if i could get tethering to work it would really help my workflow a lot.

Any tips or tricks form you guys?

I find it strange that it used to work, but stopped out of nowhere. :confused:

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

The odd time I have had issues with tethering an Android phone is usually due to limited connectivity, normally go to System Preferences> Network> Assist Me> Diagnostics and run through the wizard which will fix the issue.

Not sure if this will work for your time out issue or not though.

Have you tried to connect a different computer to your Wi-Fi Hotspot on the S3? Worth trying that to see where the issue lies. No point in doing lots of things on the rMBP if it's the S3 causing the issue.

3. Maggot FF thread starter macrumors member

Maggot FF

It seems running diagnostics worked, i was sure i had tried it before you posted it, but thanks to you i did it again, and it seemed to work. Thanks a bunch!

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Excellent, glad it fixed it.