RMBP and battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Free Ale, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Free Ale macrumors member

Free Ale

Hey guys,
    Thanks for coming to help! I have the base Retina and I have some concerns about the battery.

- Is it bad to leave it plugged in past 100% (I have been charging to full and taking out)
    - My battery health does go between 100%-97%, is this normal?
    - Would it be bad to use the laptop playing games all day and maybe charge the laptop more than once daily?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it will not overcharge.
    It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
    No, it's not bad to charge more than once daily, but if you have access to AC power, it's not necessary to run on battery. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

3. Free Ale thread starter macrumors member

Free Ale

I was always told that running it on AC power was bad, Which it still does? So, If I used it at max charge with AC cable in for like 2 hours at a time then unplug it won't do any damage?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You really should read the post that we both linked to... :rolleyes:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. You can run on AC power for days at a time with no problems. Your battery needs exercise from time to time (running on battery power) to stay healthy, so as long as you're not exclusively running on AC, you'll be fine. Do read the Battery FAQ, as it will likely answer all the battery/power/charging questions you can think of.

6. Free Ale thread starter macrumors member

Free Ale

I have read that page. Wow, Lots of knowledge! Thanks everyone!