rMBP and CAD software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddi.maruyama, Jul 23, 2012.

1. eddi.maruyama macrumors newbie

I am really considering to buy a retina macbook pro, mainly because of the size (carry it around in transit) and great specs. But as an architect, i use a lot of specific software, like AutoCAD, Rhinoceros and Sketchup, as well as Adobe suite, i would like to know how this applications are performing on the rMBP, also if there are any news about their compatibility with the retina display.

Thanks!

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

No news. Photoshop might be updated before 2012 is over. All of them look like crap on the RMBP.

3. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

As an architecture student using the latest AutoCAD for Mac, I can tell you it's not retina, but it's awesome and will only get better when they get there.

4. LEARN2MAKE macrumors member

LEARN2MAKE

I use maya in full 2880X1800 resolution (after downloading SwitchResX to get that resolution to be available) and it is great, it is basically like having 4 screens of space. The only downside is that you will need to be a few feet from the screen to make it useful. I only use that full res mode when using the computer on my lap or a table directly in front of me.

When my rMBP is on my desk with an office chair and external keyboard, the rMBP screen is further away so I don't run it at its max resolution. Instead, I run a 3 monitor setup and leave the rMBP on the 1920X1200 option and then run monitors off of both the hdmi and mini display port for a 3 monitor setup which is also great for maya. So either way it is great, at my desk and while mobile.

With regards to the 3D, it has never slowed for me always updates and runs quickly when working in 3D. I don't do a lot of renderings though, so not sure about that. It does have 8 cores so it should render quickly.