rMBP and external Monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ironhead, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ironhead macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    i'm in the process of buying a rMBP or 27" iMac.
    What i'm not sure about is that i want/need to connect two external monitors both running a 1920x1200 resolution.
    So my question is: Is the rMBP fast enough to drive the screen of the rMBP and the two monitors?
    I don't do image or video editing or the like. i need this machine for app/web development which means i constantly have a buttload of windows/terminals/applications open. Switching between apps and opening/closing apps should be snappy and fast. Has the graphics card built into the rMBP enough power to handle this?

Are there any people here running a similar setup who can enlighten about the graphics performance of the rMBP?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the english, i'm not a native speaker...

2. LeeM macrumors 6502a

my 13" mbp manages to run 1 screen off the hd4000, i dont imagine the 15" retina will struggle at all

3. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: rMBP and two external displays...

Hi ironhead,

Just to let you know, I just tested a 15" rMBP running a 2560x1440 Thunderbolt Display and a 1920x1080 HDTV through both the HDMI port of the rMBP and also through the Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt/HDMI adapter --> HDTV without any problems. The 650M graphics card in the rMBP is more than capable of running both external displays plus its own 2880x1800 display simultaneously.

Regards,
    Switon