rMBP and "on spot" repairs at Genius Bar not possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tadziak, Oct 7, 2012.

1. tadziak macrumors regular

Hi,
    I got my new rMBP and after 4 replacement (LG screens) I was finally almost ready to accept the laptop and be happy with it. However it had two small issues. One of them was the black plastic trim under the screen being loose, and flexing whenever i grab the laptop in that area - second was SSD drive making high pitched sound.

I decided to have it inspected by a Genius. Went to Genius Bar twice, they completely denied the plastic trim being any problem, claimed it's the same in every Retina (I checked the display ones - none of them had that flex). I begged them to at least try to reclip it again, tighten somehow - no luck. They would not even open the laptop.

Second thing - SSD making noise when doing file operations - they admitted it's strange but said they need to take the computer for a few (5-6) days for inspection. That was totally unacceptable, since it was a new computer and I was just passing through the city.

So my question is - is that always like that with Geniuses and Retinas? I remember with my old classic Macbook Pro they would do a lot of repairs and checks on the spot - it was never a problem. Has it changed?

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Shoulda done just that.

You've likely been red-flagged.

3. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

And what does that exactly mean? One way or another - that's not really the case, because I called even some other Apple Stores and they all claimed that this is the standard procedure nowadays (I haven't even given my apple id or name). They claim that Retinas are difficult to even open or perform the most simple service task.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You just answered your own question.

5. pastgenius macrumors newbie

Err, the retina MacBook Pros don't have a SSD. They use flash memory. When was the last time a soldered stick of flash memory made a high pitched sound?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They are one in the same. Apple is just using a different form factor from a standard Sata SSD, as is Asus in their ultrabooks.

SSD is flash based storage.

7. benguild macrumors 6502a

Try going to a different store, especially later in the day. They're usually more relaxed closer to closing as it's clearing out and won't give you as much crap.

8. foodle macrumors 6502

Wow. Epic fail.

SSD = solid state drive. The solid state part of that refers to the flash memory used in today's SSD's, since they are solid state memory chips.

Also, the SSD is NOT soldered onto the motherboard, but is on a daughter card that goes into an expansion slot on the motherboard. Hence OWC being able to offer SSD upgrades.

Finally, electronics CAN make sounds during activity. It is usually due to the capacitors on the PCBs used for power supply stabilization and filtering charging and discharging. This phenomena has even been used to mount side-channel security attacks on secure systems.

----------

Unless this is really a problem, I would just let it go for now. They could try replacing the SSD, but it might be a component on the motherboard making the noise. Doing an entire motherboard swap just for this seems a bit excessive.

9. klover macrumors 6502a

I suspect CPU whine is the issue, not the SSD.

10. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

It's definitely SSD or something SSD related (controller?). I tested two more of rMBP and they both have the same issue - whenever i make a "verify disk permission" or any other intensive disk operation -i can hear high pitched squealing. It' does not happen when I for example benchmark CPU or anything not needing file access.