rMBP and resolution questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ks-man, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I just picked up my first rMBP. I got the mid-tier 13" version. I'm playing with the different resolution options and can't really decide on what to use. I'm currently using scaled 1440x900. I've tried the 1680x1050 but that seems to be a large jump down in size. This one seems very big and the "Best" seems absurdly big.

What do most people use? Also will I really notice any performance issues using one of the scaled sizes? What makes Apple say that "Best" is the best setting to use?

Thanks.

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I think they say 'Best' as in its the same size as other Macs i.e the iMac and MacBook Airs. Basically the default size.

3. iPad Air macrumors regular

A question: why are you changing the res from the default?

----------

Agreed. :)

4. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Because for non-Retina objects on the screen (webpage images for example) each image pixel is displayed using 4 physical pixels. No scaling of the content is needed.

When you chose the scaled screen sizes, content is scaled, and may appear blurrier.

5. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I use "best for retina" most of the time, except for scenarios where I need more screen real estate. I have QuickRes installed so it's a very quick keyboard shortcut to toggle resolutions.

----------

Some apps just don't work well in the default resolution on a 13" rMBP.
    For example, if you put Logic X into full-screen mode parts of the screen are truncated; you have to go up to at least 1440x900 mode. 1680x1050 seems to be the sweet spot for Logic X on this size screen.

6. JSalig macrumors 6502

I'm using 1440x900. For me its the best combination of size and performance.

7. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Seems lag is more common on scaled resolution though. It effects performance. Which sucks cause I love scaling on my 15"

8. iPad Air macrumors regular

I have been educated. :)

9. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Thats a first on MacRumors :p Made me feel all warm inside...

10. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't want to affect performance so I guess I'll stick with Best but everything looks so large and I really feel like I lose screen real estate. I always thought with more resolution you gain real esate (think old school 640x480 to 800x600 to 1600x1200).

With each step up on the same size monitor you would essentially gain extra real esate as things got smaller (more pixels on same size screen). It seems like with these Apple computers it is the opposite and as you go higher in resolution things actually get bigger. Not quite sure why that is.

11. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

It's supposed to stop your eyes bleeding as you read the incredibly small text onscreen... Imagine getting the screen from a 27 inch iMac and then scaling down the size to the MacBook's screen, you could see nothing. The rMBP has 4x the pixels of a HDTV. Now can you see my point? I agree that they should make it so you can do that, and they have. And they have included the option for people like you. They aim to provide for consumers and most consumers don't like squinting! :)