rMBP and Sony NEX-5 camera

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tillsbury, Jul 18, 2012.

1. tillsbury macrumors 65816

What it says. OSX recognises the camera as a drive (called NO NAME) in Finder, and I can poke about in the avchd directory as expected, just as if I had put the card into the SD slot.

But iMovie won't recognise the camera as a camera, to import it. The help says it does, the Apple site says the camera is specifically supported as an avchd device, and that I should be able to choose to import from it. Latest Lion and iMovie (of course), tried two different usb cables. The only choice of camera I get is the inbuilt one. It can recognise different cameras -- if I connect the ipad3 then it gives me the option of using that camera.

Anyone any ideas? I don't see a "cameras" icon in the system preferences -- is there any other area of Lion where I should be able to see that the camera's connected?

2. that1guyy macrumors 6502

3. tillsbury thread starter macrumors 65816

Well there's a card reader on the MBP, of course. But iMovie can't import AVCHD from a card -- this is an AVCHD iMovie question. Has anyone tried this and made it work as per the instructions?