rMBP and Superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oldblindbob, Sep 28, 2012.

1. oldblindbob macrumors newbie

Hi guys… I just purchased (oct 2012) a new rMBP and a new usb Superdrive to go with it so i can watch dvd's etc…but it doesn't want to play them! here's what happens - I load the dvd into the usb superdrive, the superdrive recognises the dvd and mounts it to my desktop, but the 'dvd player' quits unexpectedly as soon as its tries to play the dvd… why does this happen? I also downloaded 'vlc player' to try that, and that also crashed as soon as it tries to play the dvd…! is this a 'superdrive' problem, a 'rMBP' problem or a 'mountain lion' problem ?? i have tried the very same dvd on my iMac with mountain lion installed, and it seems to work perfectly well…is there just a simple setting, like regional dvd i need to change somewhere, or is it a case of re-installing mountain lion and see how that goes?

2. yth macrumors member

make sure everything is updated. what dvd is it?

3. oldblindbob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply,
    yes everything is all up to date, and its the new 'Avengers Assemble' dvd, pretty decent film...

I re-installed Mountain Lion from start-up and that seems to of done the trick :) 'dvd player' works a treat now... VLC player still doesn't work tho, but that don't bother me.