rMBP and thunderbolt display: disabling the rMBP display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbl90, Jul 25, 2012.

1. dbl90 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I just switched to a rMPB coming from a regular MBP (2011) and I'm experiencing a little "problem" -both systems are on mountain lion-.

With the old macbook I used to connect the thunderbolt display and, when I woke the laptop from sleep mode with the lid closed, I was then able to open it without the display turning on (wich is exactly what I want).
    With the rMBP the display wakes up no matter what, and the only way to keep it turned off seems to be by closing the lid, and keeping it closed.

Any idea of why and/or how to fix this?

Before you say "just use it with the lid closed": it runs too hot to do that when you use certain softwares, I'd really prefer not to. And powering both the displays at the same time when not needed is a total waste of hardware resources.

Hope I was clear enough, english is not my primary language.

2. eron macrumors 6502

3. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

It's not a rMBP issue, it's an OS X issue. Starting from 10.7 (Lion) you cannot have the display open with the internal display off.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

4. dbl90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware of this but as i said I'm on mountain lion on both laptops and the old one DOES keep the display turned off, that's what I do not understand

5. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

That's a bit weird, because my 2008 MacBook lost it's functionality when I went from 10.6 (Snow Leopard) > 10.7 (Lion)

6. Sam2lucky13, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

7. omvs macrumors 6502

SwitchResX gives you the ability to disable/re-enable displays while the machine is running. I use it w/ my iMac to turn off the secondary display sometimes (Civ 5 acts weird with multiple displays). Has a ton of other options you probably won't care about, but the display sets would do what you need, and I think you can hotkey it (I just use the menubar icon to flip sets)

It has a demo mode so you can try it for a few days and see if it fits your needs.

8. dbl90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems to work well, I'll try it for a few days hoping everything is as good as it seems. Thanks!