rMBP and u2415 set-up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VintageMac, Jul 29, 2015.

1. VintageMac macrumors member

Where can I get instructions on how to hook up my Dell u2415 to my '15 rMBP 13"? I am only finding Windows drivers on the included CD. I've attached the power cord to the monitor and the included cable Display Port to Thunderbolt. I only get the small box on the Dell monitor that says, ""No DP Cable." I did find the english User's Guide on the CD, but it hasn't been helpful regarding downloading any drivers or other software.

Vintage

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think you are almost there.
    The small box "No DP Cable" tells you two facts:
    The display passes the power on test.
    The display is sensing that the DP port is being used.

Make sure that the mini DP end is plugged in to the Thunderbolt port on your rMBP.
    There is no software to install, because you don't need to install any software to get the display to work.

Try this: turn off the display power, and turn OFF your rMBP.
    Check that the video cable is securely plugged in.
    Turn on the display power first.
    Start up your rMBP.
    If you DON'T see any video on the Dell, other than the little box - go in to your System Preferences, then Displays.
    HOLD your Option key on the keyboard. You should see box "Detect Displays", click on that, and you should see something on the Dell display now. You SHOULD also see a tab on the Displays pane "Arrangement". Click that tab.
    If Mirroring is unselected, check the box.
    If mirroring is selected, uncheck the box. All you need to do is switch to the other setting, and watch what happens on the external display.

3. VintageMac thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, DeltaMac! That did it. I also had the cable plugged in the wrong Display Port on the monitor. I suppose one is in and the other out? I'll regularly be detaching my rMBP for meetings, etc. When I clicked on "Mirroring" the screen on my rMBP scaled to match the 24" monitor, meaning that everything is far too small. Will I need to go into Systems Preferences and reset things every time I detach and reattach my rMBP to the monitor?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That is likely that one DP is 'in' and the other DP port is 'out', or a pass-thru.
    And, no, settings that give you what you need to see (probably mirroring turned off, normally). I just asked you to changes some settings that will affect the video, just to see that your display was actually going to display something. Once you have the settings that you like, your rMBP, and the external display, should keep those until you want to change them.

5. VintageMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I did unplug everything a bit ago when a heavy thunderstorm went through. I needed to go back and choose "Mirroring" after restarting.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Make sure that you have "show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" checked in your displays pref pane.
    That will at least give you a convenient icon in your menubar if you need to switch your video selections.

7. VintageMac thread starter macrumors member

I am very happy with this set-up. One question I have is how will this effect my battery life since I need to have the rMBP plugged in all the time in order to run closed clamshell? Or is there a way to run it closed clamshell without being plugged in? What is optimal for battery life?

Vintage

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Just my opinion - if you use clamshell mode as your normal use, then you accept what you get for overall battery life.
    You are using a portable as a full time desktop, and the battery would stay fully charged all the time.
    So, no problem removing your external display, and use it as a portable, on battery once in a while. Schedule a day out every month or two. Run the battery down - or just several hours on battery.
    I don't know if THAT would be something that you could call "optimal", but just a battery "exercise" day.

Again, if you prefer clamshell mode, then your everyday use is NOT the ideal way to treat a battery.
    I couldn't say if that means you will get less battery use in real life (and why would it matter to you, anyway, when you would not ordinarily be using it as a laptop)
    And, if your clamshell use is really just occasional, then it's still part of your use.
    All rechargeable batteries die, one way or another, considering it is an exhaustible device.

9. VintageMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks DeltaMac. I also use my rMBP daily as a portable, but most of the use is in clamshell mode at my desk. I can keep it out of the stand, hinge the display open a bit and run it on battery rather than plugged in and at 100% charge. So my questions remain on how the 100% charge effects battery life and whether there is a way to have it closed, unplugged and running in clamshell mode?

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If your question really is "Does my battery overcharge if I keep it plugged in, resulting in damage to the battery, or shortening the battery's life?" - then my answer is "no"
    I don't think that your planned usage (part time clamshell, part time portable on battery) will significantly affect the life of the battery.
    "100% charge" does not, by itself, mean anything more than that you have a fully charged battery.

Clamshell mode requires that the adapter be attached. I think that the graphics card support for an external display needs that extra margin of power from the adapter. There's no significant reason to run clamshell mode on battery, plus you have at least one external device, and, by definition, you are not portable in clamshell mode, so the system doesn't give you a battery-only choice.
    IMHO, exercising the battery occasionally is one way to give your battery better value over time, regardless of your other use.

But, the battery remains a temporary device, which eventually wears out. If your battery is exhausted (worn out from use), then you replace it. There may be certain situations where Apple can replace one that fails too early, but the goal is the same - if the battery no longer works as you need, you replace it.
    (for now - don't obsess about the battery. If you are anything like me, you have more important things to do. :D )

11. VintageMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again, DeltaMac. I was thinking that keeping the battery at 100% for lengths of time was detrimental to the life of the battery. If it would be shortening its life by 10 or 20% it is not a big deal. If it is 50 or 60%, more so.