RMBP and USB 3 Disks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RS2, Jun 26, 2012.

1. RS2 macrumors member

Anyone else having problem with USB 3 hard disks and the new MacBook Pro? I have tried several LaCie USB 3 disks and they all work and you can unmount but they don't turn off. I have also tried the same LaCie USB 3 disks with an older MacBook Pro with only USB 2 with the same result. So is it a disk firmware or interface problem or a Mac OS X related problem?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If they have a power switch, you need to switch them off. If they're bus-powered, you need to unplug them from the USB port. Ejecting (unmounting) a drive is never intended to power the drive off, regardless of the brand. This is true for USB 2.0 or 3.0, Firewire, etc.

3. RS2 thread starter macrumors member

Still though all my other bus-powered USB 2.0 and FireWire disks do power off when I unmount them! How else would you securely un-plug them if they still are spinning?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They don't power off. They simply spin down. They're still powered, just not spinning. So you're saying the Lacie disks aren't spinning down?

5. RS2 thread starter macrumors member

OK never thought about the difference before since it just works. The problem is that the USB 3.0 disks don't spin down. Anyone else with the same problem?

6. kimovski macrumors regular

Since this topic is related to usb 3 harddrives, my question is:

Im getting my rmbp soon, and i also need a external harddrive.

external desktop drive vs external laptop drive (both usb 3)
    Who will perform better? Like read/write speeds, data transfers etc..

7. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

desktop off course

8. RS2, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

RS2 thread starter macrumors member

The Rugged Triple USB 3.0 disks are returned. According to LaCie these drives are not 100% compatible with the built-in USB 3.0 ports in the new MacBook Pro yet. They also say a firmware update of the disks are required but they can't say when it's available. According to another source many other USB 3.0 disks won't work 100% either since they have too old non-standar chips in the interface.

9. Tibits, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

Tibits macrumors regular

I already have a Pegasus RAID connected via Thunderbolt (works flawlessly with rMPB), so I just needed a portable drive for the field. I am using the Seagate GoFlex USB 3.0 drive and it is working well with no dismounting etc. The one warning is not to install the Seagate controller application. It is not necessary, and caused a sleep issue with my rMBP. Specifically, my rMPB was taking 30 seconds to go to sleep. the file com.seagate.SeagateStorageGauge.plist was the issue, located n Go Menu > Computer > Macintosh HD > Library > LaunchAgents folder. Once the file was removed sleep works. Seagate support has been informed. Just make sure to buy the Mac version of this drive, and it will already be formatted correctly and you won't need Seagate's software.

10. RS2 thread starter macrumors member

Good to know that the Seagate GoFlex USB 3.0 drive is working. Please post more info of your own experience with different USB 3.0 drives and solutions to possible problems.