rMBP and using a headset mic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomnut, Jul 7, 2012.

1. randomnut macrumors member

Hi,
    I was disappointed to find that I can no longer use my gaming headset mic with my rmbp, due to it only having a headset jack and no line in. My fault for not checking beforehand I guess.

Are there any decent headset mics with it integrated into the one jack that will be compatible with this machine ? And not the apple earphones before anyone suggests that :p

thanks

2. Drask macrumors regular

My best bet would be a USB one. There are some Microsoft decent gaming headset for around $50-60, they work perfectly with OS X.

3. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Whilst not a gaming headset as such, I use a Creative WP-350 headset via bluetooth (apt-X) for comms over steam etc while gaming. They're also extremely portable, so I can easily play some D3 on the train without disturbing others.

4. RVspidey macrumors member

my gaming headset (siberia v2) never worked with the line in anyways.. i've never gotten that port to work.. to this day, i have no freaking clue what it does.. some people talk about hooking up a guitar to it.. but i dno...

havent really lost anything on the new retina.. because the "microphone" port never worked on the older ones anyways (i did make a thread about it, nobody gave me an answer)

i'll just buy a USB to soundcard.

my mac was a late 2011 "15.

5. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

6. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I use a Logitech Wireless H800 for gaming and other tasks. You can use Bluetooth or USB and it is extremely portable. The only downside about it is the material, I can't stand the plastic ergonomics they use because it creaks every once an awhile. Logitech H800 Headphones

7. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Apple uses dual jacks that have channels for both line-in and line-out. All you need is one of those adapters to combine the signals.

Like that one. Though I would recommend buying a decent one that is reliable; the crappy ones can be hit or miss. I use one of these and it works great:

http://www.astrogaming.com/3rd-party-headset-y-adapter-pkg-d

Don't be offended, but it's worth it to ask... you didn't have the mic muted, right? (make sure no orange is showing on the little black box on the cord)

8. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Turtle beach makes awesome head sets. Mine has USB for chat and optical audio connection for dolby surround (rmbp has the optical port made into the headphone jack but there is an adaptor for this)

9. tomtom2234 macrumors member

There's probably some kind of dongle out there to fit your needs!

10. JoshJosh117 macrumors 6502

Do yourself a favor and buy headphones and a SEPARATE mic.