rMBP and white pixels

Forkjulle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
I got my rMBP today (finally) and am enjoying it so far.

When I opened YouTube and waited for the video to load, the screen was pitch black.

I noticed a bunch of little white pixels scattered. I thought it was dust, but it doesn't seem to be.

Is that normal?

rrm998

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Houston, TX USA

When I opened YouTube and waited for the video to load, the screen was pitch black.

I noticed a bunch of little white pixels scattered. I thought it was dust, but it doesn't seem to be.

Is that normal?
Try moving the browser window around. If the white dots move with the window, it's not your screen.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON

Is that normal?

LG or Samsung panel?

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
I've got the same issue. I made a similar thread about it the other day. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1458102/

Like jedolley said, 'dead pixels' are most easily noticeable against solid color backgrounds--black in my case. I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow to see about a free replacement or repair since it's a factory defect and still under warranty. I'll let you know what they say.

Z17

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Yeh I had noticed the same on my rMBP. I have an LG screen and have had the laptop for 3 months. I booked a genius appointment with Apple last week. I knew they had to do something about the screen as it's a manufacturing fault. They said they will take it in and replace the screen for me. They replaced the screen for me. No problems with this screen so far. They replaced it with a Samsung screen as well :)

dynafrom

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012

Is that normal?

I had this. Exchange your rMBP ASAP.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
Okay found it.

I have a LG screen.

What does this mean?

LG screen this is not good news at all....I would exchange it for a new one if you get another LG screen you may get lucky and won't experience any problems as some ppl here have said...Samsung has problems with their screens too so dont hope to get a Samsung so soon...until APPLE figures out what is happening....

dimme

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Wow I was thinking of getting a rMBP, but reading the threads here there is no way I pay that sort of money for a product that is not ready yet. Maybe next year.