RMBP - Any screen coating or just glass?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bioyuki, Jun 20, 2012.

1. bioyuki macrumors member

My screen is starting to get a bit grubby...does anybody know if the RMBP screen has any surface multicoating for glare reduction/scratch prevention or is it just untreated glass? Basically should I use iKlear or something like that vs. a normal vinegar Windex?

2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Don't use Windex...

Screen cleaning solution should be fine. I'm using the little spray bottle that came with my Monster iClean (it was on sale, don't judge me) and the microfibre cleaning cloth.

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

4. bioyuki thread starter macrumors member

I used the vinegar windex on my mid 2010 glossy MBP and got better results then the iKlear cause it didn't streak or haze. Of course on my early 2011 matte MBP I used a proper solution.

I was just asking since the glossy MBP screens were clearly just glass...however I noticed that the MBAs have a purple tint to the screen which suggested some sort of coating. Since the RMBP has similar construction to the MBA was just wondering if it too has a coating.

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Vinegar windex is better than the destructive ammonia based windex, but I'd still use a proper screen cleaning solution. Spray a bit of that onto the microfibre cloth then wipe. I haven't had streaking or hazing with iClean and the included microfibre cloth :)

6. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I don't get any haze or streaks with iklear are you sure you using the right cloth for each step? Are you sure you letting screen cool down? Cleaning a warm screen will always show streaks.

7. drvelocity macrumors member

No need for chemicals at all - I've never used anything other than a dab of water and a microfiber cloth on any of my apple products, and it always cleans the screen perfectly - trust me I'm anal about this.

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Distilled water? Hopefully filtered at a minimum.

9. jdk1.0 macrumors newbie

I wonder what Apple has to say about this?

I've noticed that people offer various personal advice on this, but nobody references the engineers who actually designed and built the screen. I'm assuming Apple did consult the engineers on this issue and they actually took the time to write about it in the "MacBook Pro Important Product Information Guide." They probably thought it was important or something. ;)

I'll quote page 2 from the 2012 rMBP version:

"Cleaning the McBook Pro Screen To clean your MacBook Pro screen, first shut down your MacBook Pro and unplug the power adapter. Then dampen the included cleaning cloth with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen." (Emphasis added.)

Coming from a machining background, I would recommend using a swirling motion to avoid wearing the screen in a uniform manner. Take note that this is not explicitly stated in the guide, and is probably not necessary considering the included cloth is so soft that it probably wouldn't affect the screen this way.

Also, coming from a physics background, distilled or filtered water certainly counts as "just water", so that would be fine according to Apple. (Off topic as an aside, drinking distilled water is perfectly fine as it is just purified water; some people I've met seem to think distilled water is somehow bad for humans. :confused: Go figure.)