rMBP App Specific Resolution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by strausd, Sep 23, 2012.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

I love my rMBP, but there are a few apps that when I use them, I prefer to use SwitchResX to change to 2880X1800. One thing I noticed when I select "Get Info" on any application is that there is a check box for "Open in low resolution."

I was wondering if it is possible to deselect this for certain apps that do not support retina and have them open in 2880X1800? Or is that something that would just be too confusing for the GPU?

I was hoping to test this out by just unchecking the mark next to "Open in low resolution," but even after unlocking the lock at the bottom and with the "locked" checkbox off, I still cannot edit that part.

Does anybody know if something like this is possible? Or why I am not able to change things when I select "Get Info?"

2. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

You can try retinizer on those apps (I've not used it however):

http://retinizer.mikelpr.com/

The issue is IIRC to do with some apps being coded with older Apple frameworks which do not support rescaling, and therefore you cannot toggle that setting at all. Retinizer adds a line to the Info.plist to trick OS X into thinking it is supported.

To be honest, I prefer to use SwitchResX to manage this only as programs forced to "support" HiDPI can exhibit glitches and bugs (Microsoft Office before the retina update as an example). YMMV.

3. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

That looks interesting, but not quite what I was looking for.

For example, I would prefer to keep the resolution on the rMBP at Retina, not 2880X1800. However, when I open something like After Effects, I would like that to open as if the whole display was 2880X1800. Is something like that possible?

4. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

I'm not sure I understand you. I use Lightroom a lot, and I've set up SwitchResX to automagically switch to 2880x1800 when it runs, but that applies to the whole screen; you can't have both HiDPI1440x900 and 2880x1800 running at the same time!?

What is your problem with running AfterEffects at 1440x900? The pixellation is the same as running it on a classic MBP, but if you want it optimised for the better retina resolution you'll just have to wait for Adobe to complete its updates (or try retinizer, though it warns not to try it with CS suite...)

5. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't want them running at the same time, it wouldn't make sense to have one monitor render out two resolutions at once. I just want some apps to think the monitor is at 1440X900 HiDPI while others think the monitor is at a native 2880X1800. But it sounds like that is just too complicated for the GPU to handle.

Try opening AE in 1440X900 HiDPI and then in native 2880X1800 and you will see why. SOOOOOO much more screen real estate. It makes a huge difference.

But the things is, when I work in AE, I am constantly switching between that app and others, and I don't need other apps to run at native 2880X1800. Instead they look awesome at retina and I would like for them to run at retina without me constantly having to change the monitor resolution as a whole, which just wastes time. If it was app specific, and not app specific by a certain app changes the monitor resolution but instead certain apps opened in different resolutions, it would save time and would make my workflow much easier and quicker while giving me more control.

There is a reason I did not buy a classic MBP though. And it is the same reason I am sure so many other people opted for the retina version. For exactly that, the retina display. If I wanted pixelation, why pay a premium for a higher resolution display?

Adobe said they were working on bringing retina support to certain apps. After effects was not one of them:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/30...otoshop-cs6-and-lightroom-4-in-coming-months/

And retinizer doesn't do what I am looking for.

6. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

So have you tried the application triggers in SwitchResX, they should do 90% of what you want with the caveat that the resolution switch causes ~2second pause. I can get lightroom to run at 2880 and when I toggle to finder it switches back to 1440 automatically. You make a display set and then assign that display set to an application. Personally I prefer binding key strokes ⌘⌥F1-F4 to the 4 HiDPI modes and switch via keyboard when I switch between Lightroom and other apps, but switchResX can do it automatically.