rMBP "approaching end of cycle"... wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by munstre, Jan 24, 2013.

  1. munstre macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2012
    #1
    I've been patiently setting money aside for a 15" rMBP as I'm simultaneously saving for a move this Spring, and I'm about ready to buy. However, I just noticed last week the Macrumors buyers guide recommendation was: "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle."

    I know 1st gen macs are a bit buggy, and my only real deterrent was the small SSD which I don't think I'll be springing for the $500 upgrade, but I really want this machine. Any rumors on a larger SSD coming standard on the 2nd gen? Also, any idea when this "end of a cycle" actually is?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Schranke macrumors 6502

    Schranke

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #2
    no rumors have said anything, and no one can say when the next rMBP will be out.
    The theories are that it will be out when Hasswell is released.
    You should get a 2.5" external HHD with USB 3.0. I have a 750GB external i use for pictures i always have with me.
     
  3. jeblis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    #3
    The next release is tied to Intel's Haswell release. Current rumors put a Haswell release around June 1st. Expect a Macbook refresh a month or two later.
     
  4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Location:
    Ohio
    #4
    The rMBP first came out in the summer time 2012 and I wouldn't expect them to come any sooner in 2013. So I'd wager June or July 2013 we'll see them.
     
  5. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2010
    #5
    I am looking forward to the rMBP refresh as well but everyone seems to be saying that the new Mobile Haswells wont be out till next year? :S

    I hope not but thats what ive seen people say.
     
  6. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2011
    #6
    the waiting game in the tech world is a evil thing, unless we are talking a couple of months, go ahead and buy, most people seem to agree that its going to be a slight cpu/gpu upgrade and maybe some more storage options. I do not see anything radical happening this summer.
     
  7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Location:
    Ohio
    #7
    People also said the world was going to end on Dec 21, 2012, and look what happened there :D
     
  8. Knick Knack macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2012
    Location:
    in a house
  9. unobtainium macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2011
    #9
    I'm hoping the rMBP will be refreshed in July and will ship with Haswell, OS X 10.9, 802.11ac wifi, and a lower price. I can dream right?!
     
  10. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

    mpayne2k

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    #10
    If price is your main factor, then at least if a refresh comes out for the same retail price you should be getting a better machine.

    I decided to jump on the Best Buy open box deal as they have massive discounts on the retina macbook pros at this time. My $2199.99 machine was reduced to $1699.99 and then I got 10% off that, out the door price was just shy of $1650! A real deal on a computer that isn't even 9 months old.

    I checked my serial number and mine was built in November, the original purchase date was Dec. 29th, 2012. So my warranty is still over 11 months remaining and the thing looks and works brand new. Very happy camper here.

    If your budget is tight, check out your local best buy before this weekend!
     
  11. stevemiller macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    #11
    basically i'm always looking for more power for doing my job (3d animation). but from what i've heard, haswell isn't going to bring much to the table in terms of raw speed advancements, especially coming from a 2011 mbp. i generally wait to upgrade till i can get a performance doubling over my previous machine.

    anyway, long story short, if you're itching/needing a laptop now, i'd buy now, because you could be waiting 6 months for incremental improvements.
     
  12. bbapps macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #12
    Haswell should allow for longer battery life, possible lower temperatures during stress (e.g. encoding video). But I'm more interested in terms of possible graphic improvements. If MacBooks are released with a haswell chip supporting GT3 graphics which is being compared to the 650m....will the MacBooks stay with the 650m, drop the discrete GPU, change to a higher performer (e.g. 680mx).

    In addition, possible lower price and better options. Think I'm going to wait and find out, but I'm in no big hurry and usually keep my hardware for a while. If I was without or needed something now, I would go for it.
     
  13. kensic macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2013
    #13
    send in your receipt, and apple will re-adjust the warranty date to when YOU bought it. :) cheers
     
  14. Mrbobb, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

    Mrbobb macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    #14
    Don't call it that. "End of Cycle" traditionally means the technogy is now obsolete, and something else is completely replacing it.

    Call it "next updade available in 6 months."
     
  15. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #15
    $1811 around me :( - not that I need it. :)
     
  16. el-John-o macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2010
    Location:
    Missouri
    #16
    Thank you thank you thank you!

    I am so sick of hearing that the Haswell Mac's are coming out the first week of June. Apple has NEVER been that fast. Typically, it's two or three months after the release of a new chip that Apple starts rolling out new models. Intel doesn't exactly have a great track record of releasing on time either.

    Personally, I think mid-July will be the EARLIEST you'll be able to get your hands on a Haswell MBP. I don't think even as late as October is unreasonable (based on both Intel AND Apple being on the later end of their release track record). Though most likely release Window, IMO, is mid-July to mid-September.

    So, OP, if do just what it says. If you need it, buy it! It'll still work 6 or 8 months from now.

    But, 6 months from now Intel is going to be releasing a new chip (based on leaked timelines by the way, I don't think they've actually announced a release so far), and Apple will have it in the rMBP within a couple months beyond that, so that's where we are!

    I'm not losing any sleep over buying a MBP a few weeks ago. 6 months from now I'm only a year away from Broadwell! It gets Silly. Tech moves, what you've got is gonna be outdated. Just buy what you need and upgrade when you're ready. Haswell is going to be pretty incremental honestly. Intel said the focus is power consumption, not necessarily performance. So perhaps a bump in battery life (or if Apple chooses, a slight reduction in weight if they use the juice-equity nabbed in the new lower power chips to shave the battery a bit smaller and still keep 7 hours of battery life), though a significant bump in performance (like HD3000 to HD4000 graphics or Intel Core 2 to i5/i7) is not likely this time around.
     

Share This Page