rMBP as an Alarm Clock ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slo-climber, Jun 22, 2014.

1. slo-climber macrumors member

Is it possible to set rMBP as an alarm clock? I mean that, it would play some kind of music at the time I set.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... just leave the lid open and let it go to sleep like normally. Then in the Energy Saver panel in System prefs tell it when you want the Mac to wake up (like just before the alarm).

[​IMG]

Then in the Calendar app make an event with an alarm for when you want to wake up. In the alarm setting go to the custom section and tell it to run the music file you choose as the alarm.

3. slo-climber thread starter macrumors member

4. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Can the same be done with a movie file instead of music, so as to wake up to a movie or TV episode (or through similar means?)

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, you may have to configure QuickTime to play the movie when automatically opened for it to work first. Also, make sure you test it before relying on it to wake you.

6. simsaladimbamba

I use this quite older Menu Bar alarm clock and it can even wake a Mac from sleep and play some song out of your iTunes library. It is easier to setup than the Energy Schedule and iCal method, and it works in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.