rMBP audio stuttering (and jerky scrolling) fix

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rkuo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Some of you may have noticed that the rMBP audio stutters a lot when playing music or videos (like watching youtube especially). Apparently this is due to automatic graphics switching. If you turn it off (aka using discrete graphics all the time), the problem goes away.

This also helps some of the jerky scrolling issues in Safari. It doesn't totally eliminate it, but the performance is a lot better and much less laggy (as you might expect).

To sum it up: switching causes stutter. Staying in integrated graphics only mode using gfxCardStatus also causes stutter, although seemingly less frequent, but might be the same issue. Staying in discrete only mode is perfect for audio and makes safari perform better, but draws more power and creates more heat.

Obviously, gfxCardStatus is a good utility for managing this. But Apple should fix whatever in their drivers for the Intel gfx is causing this. Stuttering audio is unacceptable in any mode.

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I haven't once gotten stuttering audio, and I'm always listening to music and often watching Youtube videos.

3. rkuo thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's interesting. Are you upgraded to Mountain Lion yet? I'm not sure what could be the difference otherwise, unless it's the fact that I have 16GB of RAM. (2.3/16/256/OSX 10.8).

It's definitely happening.