rMBP: Available Disk Space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hrim, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hrim macrumors member

I have a question regarding the OS and space it takes.

On the Apple website, requirements are 8gb of free space in order to install the OS. However, I installed only photoshop CS6, few Apps that are less than 10mo, and have VMware Fusion (which is instructed to use the SDXC card to stock the Windows 7 OS).

So, I'd expect to have no more than 15GB of used space, but the Finder shows 30.29GB.

Is this normal? Do I have a way to find what's taking up space? I ran a search but I could not find files biggers than 900mo others than iPhoto and iMovies...

Can you provide your disk space? I'm worried as the space on the 256 is very scarce...

2. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

Just like any hard drive in the past, a 256g drive will not actually give you 256g of usable space. I believe for this drive size, approximately 240g (someone correct me if I'm wrong) will be usable. So if you used 15g of 240, you'd be around 225g available.

3. Hrim thread starter macrumors member

It's the OS who says 30GB are used:

[​IMG]

4. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I used monolingual to remove all extra languages and also turned off the local backups that time machine makes on laptops and disabled hibernation and deleted the safe sleep image (Don't plan to run out of battery while not paying attention) and with a decent bit of apps installed and some things in downloads I am showing 21.55gb used