RMBP - Backup Strategies?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markp99, Jul 24, 2012.

1. markp99 macrumors member

I'm looking for some advice. The SSD constraints (256MB) are forcing me to consider external storage and back-up strategies. Note: 512MB option would have only delayed this discussion.

Here's what I've got:

(1) RMBP with 256MB, 16GB
    (2) 1 TB USB 3.0 external - Client data files for work
    (3) 1 TB USB 3.0 external - Time machine back-ups

My concern is primarily related to my Work stuff. I drag ACTIVE client files from (2) to the RMBP to work on them, and then send them back occasionally to (2) for storage. Time machine will catch these files, but only while they reside on the RMBP.

I worry that disk (2) could fail w/mission critical files, so I also need a backup for (2).

Back-up for the Time Machine drive (3) is not so critical as the RMBP itself is essentially my fail safe.

I use Carbonite on my current PC Laptop, provided by my company. Seems to work well enough, but is a real resource hog - and will not be installed on my RMBP.

I presume Crash Plan is something similar to Carbonite. Can I add the external drives to the mix??

Any suggestions to address my requirement??

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I back up to my NAS by way of Time Machine, use Carbon Copy Cloner to also make an image on my external drive that I have, plus a portable drive as well.

That gives me two onsite backups and one offsite backup

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Buy another 1 TB external and backup 2 to it, using an app like Carbon Copy Cloner, copying the files manually, or using rsync from the Terminal (CCC actually uses rsync in the background anyway).

It's as simple as

Code:
    rsync –a SourceDirectory DestinationDirectory
    Or, buy a 2 bay enclosure (there are plenty of options on the Apple store and elsewhere), and set up RAID 1 on the two disks. Copy disk 2 onto the raid volume.

Or, buy a larger external, such as a 2 TB or even 3 TB drive. Set up Time Machine to backup the rMBP and Disk 2. Go into options and remove the disk 2 from the exclusion list.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd stay away from drobo, I see nothing but complaints for drobo units. If you want a NAS, I highly recommend synology or qnap - just my $.02

6. Enjoi03 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to partition a single 2TB external hard drive to use 1TB as storage and the other as backup for everything (including the 1TB that is used for storage).

7. stordoff macrumors regular

Backing up to the same physical disk is pointless. If the drive dies, then you lose both the original and the backup at the same time.

8. markp99 thread starter macrumors member

I had thought to cross back-up to the 2 drives to each other. (2) to (3) and then (3) to (2). But, partitioning the 1TBs in half would be too limiting.

I do have a QNAP NAS gigabit drive (2 x 1 TB in RAID config), but the thing is very temperamental, losing network connectivity seemingly randomly.

I just did a firmware update, and reformatted the drives. All seems good, then poof, could not see the drive again. I just don't trust the thing, plus I think I'd get better transfer rates via USB 3.0 anyway.

Though, the external USB approach required me to remember to physically attach the drives, whereas the NAS approach is basically always attached via the network./..