RMBP - bad whining-sound. Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amorph, Jun 25, 2012.

1. amorph macrumors newbie

Hi, just got my RMBP - everything seemed to be fine, but suddenly the notebook starts to make that terrible noise. Its pretty loud - I dont have to hold my ear close to the notebook to hear it. It disappears when the notebook is charging. I attached a recording of that sound. Is my macbook faulty or is that "normal?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

that buzzing sound, sounds a lot like my Airport Extreme when i download heavy files or push the internet to max.

3. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

that is probably the heavy-load execution units and the high-speed spinning fan sound. download istat pro(a dashboard widget) to see the CPU temp, fan speed, etc. though it is weird that this whining sound disappears when charging. if that doesn't work, bring it to the apple store and the genius bar guys will hand over.

4. Jeff3f macrumors member

if it's audible enough that you can record it, and if you can reproduce it at will, then it's likely NOT normal and you should show that sound to the genius bar folks.

5. minnus macrumors 6502

Ew, more coil whine issues :(

The sound typically occurs when the circuitry is in a power saving state, which explains why you hear it when the computer is unplugged. If you wanted to test it, you can run some sort of benchmark to put stress on the CPU - which should eliminate the sound as well.

The only fix is a motherboard (and in this case, laptop) replacement unfortunately. I had a few components and laptops with this very symptom, and it really depends on the quality of the circuitry used.