rMBP battery charging faster than cMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powerocool, Jul 17, 2012.

1. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

Does anyone feel the rMBP battery gets charged faster than cMBP? especially towards 100%.

2. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

3. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

Classic MacBook pro.

4. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Good question. Fast charging times are important when you're onthe run. The Lenovo X1 carbon reportedly charges to 80% capacity in 30 mins. Whether that's marketing hype or reality still remains to be seen. But it would be nice to see Apple take a step in that direction as well.

5. Urban Spaceman macrumors member

My gut reaction is no. IIRC, both the cMBP and the rMBP have 85w chargers. The rMBP's charger provides fractionally more voltage than the older Magsafe 1 of the cMBP, but not enough to compensate for the fact that the power adapter is attempting to charge a considerably larger battery on the rMBP. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but it would seem more likely that the rMBP is slower to charge than the cMBP, and the perceived superiority is a psychological response to having spent $$$$$$ on a new toy (don't take offence, we all suffer from this).

6. erandall38 macrumors 6502

I think it charges significantly faster.

I'm not sure if I'm impressed with my battery life, but the charging speed is insane!

I've been doing battery life testing over the weekend and into this morning. It just died this morning at 8:20. Plugged it in and started doing a write up. Less than 1 hour later and its its at 60%

In my eyes thats damn fast.