rMBP Battery is Draining

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by outsidethebox, Jul 10, 2012.

1. outsidethebox macrumors member

My new base rMBP is draining battery with no usage. I first had (and still have) this problem with my 4s, and now it's happening to my new MBP as well. Great.

Last night @ 10 pm - 83%
    This morning @ 6 am - Turned on and 77%
    Came home @ 5:30 pm - Turned on again and 69%

That's an 8% decrease in battery life with no usage in between either times. I leave no programs running and nothing connected, I don't know what the problem is.

Not impressed. I thought you could leave SSD's like the MBAir for up to 30 days with no usage, why am I having this problem?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is it on or sleeping? Those times seem correct for a sleeping Macbook.

3. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Sooooo you are leaving it at home un-plugged? Maybe I am missing something but, why bother? Also I think the option for the deep sleep may only be in Mountain Lion but I could be wrong. If it is then I don't think you will be getting 30days of stand by unless you have the deep sleep option and enable it. But again, why leave it unplugged when you can just plug it in while not home?

4. d3bruts1d macrumors member

It is "up to 30 days of standby time," which basically means putting the device to sleep when not in use. It sounds like you are closing all apps, but leaving the rMBP on.

Time Machine, WiFi, Screen, Keyboard backlight, etc. will continue to drain the battery.

5. outsidethebox thread starter macrumors member

The computer has been closed. Time machine is off, and wifi/keyboard/screen are not activated when it's closed.

Fyi, just 3 minutes ago while browsing Safari, the computer froze then manually shut down with a grey screen saying it "encountered an unknown error". Hugely disappointed so far with this computer, only bad experiences so far.

6. d3bruts1d macrumors member

Sounds like you may have a bigger issue. I'd take it to a genius or call Apple Care.

7. Idefix macrumors 6502

Create a brand-new user: login as that user and see if the behavior is the same.

I think you've got something funky imported from your previous Mac.