rMBP Battery Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lexical, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Lexical macrumors regular

So i woke up this morning to find that my magsafe adapter on my rMBP wasn't green, or orange but not lit up at all. I opened the laptop up to find that the battery indicator said the machine was plugged in but not charging and it hadn't charged since i plugged it in last night, still on 75%…

So i unplugged it, restarted the machine and plugged it back in. Seems to be charging now, but very very slowly. Its tell me it needs 1 Hour 25 mins to charge it back to 100% from 75%!? And its pretty mud taking that long so far.

Should i be concerned? Battery health is 99% and its had 60 cycles through it according to Istat.

2. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Sometimes the light on mine also doesn't show it's charging while it actually does. That's not that big of a problem, but the superslow charging would bother me. I once accidentally took the charger from my MacBook Air with my old MacBook Pro, that also took forever to charge, but if you're using the normal charger I would definitely go to an Apple store to check it out.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

do a full charge and time it. It should take around 2-3 hours. My retina is currently at 73% it says 1:34 to full, but the weird thing is when it shows 100% charged the battery is actually not fully charged as per coconut battery.

4. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Well i just got home from work and went to plug it in and again it said that it was plugged in but not charging and no light was on the magsafe adapter.

To make sure the charge cable wasn't on the blink i tested it on my 2013 MBA and it charges that fine, plugged it back into the rMBP and its started charging it again…

What the?

----------

Just reset the SMC going to see if that helps...

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

I think its best if the smc reset does not resolve the issue that you take it to the genius bar, it could be an issue with the magsafe board or the logic board.

6. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Had this issue on an old MacBook. Resetting the SMC definitely worked for me so give it a shot.

7. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Well looks like the SMC reset hasn't resolved the issue. Charged it up to full again, took it off AC power for a minute then put the magsafe back in and no orange or green light… Can't be an issue with the AC power unit if it works on my other MBA :/

I love my rMBP but this is the second problem I've had with it in 6 months, not really convinced by its reliability…

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal that your battery may stop charging between 93-99%. For details, read the CHARGING section of the following link.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions.

While it's less likely to be your issue, it's also normal for your MBP to draw power from both AC and battery during periods of extreme demand, such as gaming or other multimedia operations. This can cause your battery to stop charging or even drain, even though it's plugged in. Read the AC POWER section of the following link.

Also check the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following FAQ.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

9. Lexical thread starter macrumors regular

Err thanks for the link, which i have read before. What you describe is nothing like the issue I'm having.

I plug my magsafe in and there is NO light at all, orange or green and under the battery indicator it states 'plugged in but not charging', when the battery is far from full.

Looks like its a trip to the Apple store, again… But don't know if its a faulty charger or if its a battery problem.