rMBP battery life seems lower than average

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sacricide, Jul 19, 2012.

1. sacricide macrumors newbie

ive been using mine PRIMARILY since i got it a week ago, for web surfing. Not too many videos...just 1 or 2, 2-3min vids. and reading webpage.

doing this on 50% brightness or lower, i get about 5.5 hours. Which obviously drops if i do anything more than just browsing.

Can anyone chime in here? ive seen just about every review state about 7.5 hours doing just about same thing. And 5.5 using the dGPU here and there on medium browsing.

2. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

Spot on, I noticed this, spent 2 weeks with the base model doing pretty much the same thing as you and it really struggled to get past 4.5 hrs.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

4. Charlaux macrumors member

Same with me too but the difference is that I havent changed any brightness or so.Still after a computer who run out from %100 battery in 5 minutes I am like in a dream.

5. sacricide thread starter macrumors newbie

so far I'm not having the dGPU running or engaging. at this point id like to hear more from others on what they're getting. I'm doing quite low intensity browsing.

If i did heavy internet browsing however, my batteries dead in 2.5 hours.

gaming who knows at that point?

can you guys post your settings, along with battery life.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on more than just brightness and browsing. Did you go through the list of suggestions I posted?

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I am also in a similar boat. I haven't actually timed it with a stop watch from 100% to 0%, but based on my observations I don't think I'd get more than 4-4.5 hours of regular activity from mine.

While it is adequate for my needs, I would really prefer to get closer to 6 hours or the rated 7 hours so that I comfortably leave my charger at home if I am going somewhere for the day.

I do leave it plugged in most of the time since I use it in my home office, but I guess I will start making a point of it to unplug every other day or so for a while. I've owned this for 12 days and have only 4 charge cycles so far.

8. psykick5 macrumors 6502

I watched two Futurama episodes and an episode of Band of Brothers while using iMessage and some web browsing and it only went down 17%... (that's about two hours)

9. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

GGJ posted links for your solution, please take time to read them.

10. sacricide thread starter macrumors newbie

I've read that thread while back, to me it leaves me only with few options, control flash content, dgpu, or assume your battery life is normal.