RMBP battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macran, May 3, 2013.

1. macran macrumors member

I was wondering how is the battery life for rest of the RMBP owners.Mine sucks and does not even last for more than 4hrs.
    Is there a way to maximise the battery life .i keep my brightness to less than 40% and have outlook and browsing running all the time.
    please advise

2. simsaladimbamba

While browsing might not seem to be much, if a website uses Flash to advertise or play videos, that is going to be CPU intensive.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

I see, you have already been linked to the above FAQ, did you read it and did it clear up something and did you use the tips given to you and the tools shown to you to troubleshoot?

3. macran thread starter macrumors member

Yes I did there in nothing abnormal and eveything seem to be fine.Not sure what thats is causing this

Attached Files:

4. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I sympathize with you. I've been dealing with battery issues the past 2 weeks.

I ruled out Bluetooth, WiFi, and Power Nap on battery power. Uninstalled apps like No Sleep and Caffeine which might prevent proper Sleep state. Removed my Kuzy case in case it was causing signal issues. Disabled cloud services (Cloud and SkyDrive). All of these were not the problem.

It turns out that iPhone WiFi sync was killing my battery life, from 100% to 40% overnight. Just a thought.

5. mykem macrumors regular

The display brightness is the most obvious place to start. The brighter you run the screen the faster it will drain the battery. Even more draining is the use of discrete GPU (GT650M) which will halve the estimate battery usage time.

One thing you can do is use click on the battery percentage indicator on the menu bar- it always gives you the estimate "Time Remaining".

My 6 months old 15' rMBP still get over 6 hours if I run it lightly- using text editor or browsing the web (as long as I don't trigger the GT650M on) or keep the display brightness at under 50%.

6. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

lasts a whole 5-6 hour day at school, unless i fire up Maya or video editing.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My max spec 13" will manage 6 hours or so, even when I'm working it hard...I was actually pleasantly surprised by this...expecting around 4-5 hours max. Until battery tech moves on, we are not going to see any improvements for a while.

Apple are constantly telling their engineers not to compromise on battery life across all product ranges. The Li-Pol has reached it's limit in terms of physical size and output storage.

Haswell battery life should be around the same as what the current rMBP achieves. As a work tool, I'm pretty pleased with my newbie.

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

How do I check if the GT650M is enabled?

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Install gfxcardstatus or go to System Preferences and disable Graphics Switching which will force the dGPU on.

10. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Got it! Will check tonight, thanks!!

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I get 6-8 now

I was having similar issues, getting 4-5 at best. Then, I did all the new SMC firmware and also did a PRAM and SMC reset..

and boom, I now get 6-8 hours regularly. When the dedicated GPU is running, of course that is going to be less, but when I'm just going around using it and surfing 50+ pages and using email, etc., and wifi, i'm now getting regularly 6-7 hours no problem. That is with about 65-75% brightness. Less, and I get OVER 8 hours.

12. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I had battery issues on my MBA (Went from 6 to 3 for some reason) and then did a SMC reset and it solved the issue, you should try it.