RMBP battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dominiongamma, Feb 15, 2015.

1. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

I'm in between with a 13 inch rMBP and mba I was curious how everyone's battery life is on the rMBP because apple says it gets up to 9 hrs but I read some post that people are sometimes only getting 4-5 hrs of battery life, just curious of what people are getting before I mKe the purchase :)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You said it yourself. Up to.

It completely depends on what you do with the computer.

Letting the computer sit idle with everything turned off and brightness to a minimum you could probably stare at it for 10 hours. As soon as you actually use the computer normally that number will go down. The harder it works, the shorter the battery life.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

4. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

Nothing hardcore, word, Safari, Netflix and little video editing

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

No one can give you an exact battery life since each is different.

1. How long on system.

2. What they use the system for

3. Brightness level, and for how long.

4. Etc.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

My extremes of "normal usage":

Web browsing, vpn, email and general light work-related stuff: 5hrs+

Importing into Aperture from firewire card reader and associated preview generation: 1-1.5hr

Video (re)encoding: 0.5-1hr

Its generally not the machine that creates variations in battery life (on the same spec machine), in real usage, its what the user is doing with it.

(the above assumes no runaway processes, no flash, no Chrome or other known resource hogs running).

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Truthfully, not much different than a 'sports car and a tank of gas' ..

Truthfully, not much different than a 'sports car and a tank of gas' _ if you are running it to its capabilities, you will not go as far!! :cool:

I have had a 2014 rMBP 15" _ 2.5 i7/16GB/512SSD for about a week, and have had it last 6.5-7hrs just noodling around, and maybe 2hrs+ when really working it.. and I am sure it is likely 'quite normal' and will not worry, for a while yet!! ;)

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Thats a great analogy! :cool: I guess add in a slight leak from the gas tank (so don't drive it and it still slowly drains to empty), and it would be perfect! LOL

9. Redsfan macrumors regular

I seem to get anywhere from 7-9 hours not charging. Pretty mid use, not much in the way of movies, but everyday use get close to 9 hours. Much better than a PC, which is one reason we walked into the apple world.

10. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

That's good to know :D I will be going for the Pro