rMBP battery replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kzhlin, Mar 1, 2013.

1. kzhlin macrumors member

Hey guys,

I bought my rMBP around the time it was just released, and my battery already shows almost 400 cycles... Apple says that you should replace the rMBP battery at 1000 cycles.

Anyone else use their rMBP's a lot? Does you battery performance completely die after 1000 cycles? In my previous MBP (I don't know how many cycles it has), the battery would only hold like 2 hours of charge.

Would it be better to just go for an iMac? Or pay $200 for a battery replacement?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they don't say that. Apple states the battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity for up to 1000 cycles. That doesn't mean your battery dies after 1000 cycles, or if it drops below 80%. A battery is still usable with less than 80% health or over 1000 cycles. If it no longer holds enough charge for your needs, replace it.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. kzhlin thread starter macrumors member

4. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

I dont think 400 cycles is normal for a mac unless you use it for something like 12-13 hours a day. Have your mac checked and claim warranty. The average for this period should be around 200-300 cycles.

5. kzhlin thread starter macrumors member

I use it like a desktop and it's probably on 9-10 hours a day on the weekdays. I use it more on the weekends. Maybe I'm using it too much and should have just bought an iMac! :p