rMBP Battery Suddenly Draining Faster Than Usual

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AkramHD, Dec 14, 2014.

1. AkramHD macrumors member

Hey

So my Mid-2012 15" rMBP suddenly began to run out of juice quicker than usual. For example, before, I could be watching HTML5 video for 30 minutes and only lose 1-2% of my battery. Now, I lose 10%.

Now I know this next part won't please many people, but I bet it's important. This battery drain issue began around the time I pirated a music album. The album file only had music in it, which I then transferred to iTunes. Could this album possibly have had malware in it? I also noticed that after I downloaded this album, clicking on the battery symbol would show iTunes as one of the apps using significant energy.

So, what do you guys recommend I do? Would deleting this album help at all?

Thank you!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Stealing music has nothing to do with your battery. You're using a 2.5 year old computer, the battery is aging. This is normal, at some point you'll need to replace the battery.

What you listen too, and how you got it have zero affect on battery life.

3. AkramHD thread starter macrumors member

I understand this, however what's confusing me is the sudden change that happened in a matter of days. One day my battery was doing fine, the next it was tanking. I would've expected a gradual drop, not something this sudden.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Batteries don't alway fail in a slow graceful way. My point is that its not out of the question to see this occur on agin batteries imo.

Remove the pirated music and clean up your drive. Its unlikely that an MP3 file had malware. If you weren't prompted for a password for something to install when you got that music then its likely clean. So far AFAIK, music has been infected by malware.

If you're concerned about it, you could reformat your drive and reinstall OSX but I think that's extreme and won't really help you.

5. AkramHD thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks.

----------

Update:
    This article helped me.

6. nickbarbs macrumors regular

75% of the stuff on my 2012 retinabook is pirated and i enjoy fantastic battery life.

yyyyyaaaaaarrrrrrr matey.