rMBP battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joewillmott, Jul 3, 2012.

1. joewillmott macrumors regular

Finally got my rMBP today and charged it upto 100%. Now I am at 97% battery and only 5 and a half hours left...!?

The Apple website said 7 hours which I would be fine with, other sites even hyped it up saying it showed 9+ hours. Mine is far from this and all I am doing is browsing the internet.

What kind of battery life does everyone else get? What could I be doing that is draining my battery? Could I have received a crap battery?

2. incka macrumors newbie

Depends what you're doing. Mine lasted about an hour with carbonite restore going!

3. cjw2222 macrumors newbie

Is bluetooth on?
    What is your screen brightness?
    Have you installed click to flash?
    Heavy flash based websites?

4. BB.King macrumors regular

Congratulations.

Battery need to go through few charge cycles to be able to report % more accurately, so give it a month than see what battery life is like.

Apple test the battery with 50% brightness, so if your screen is brighter than that, the battery life will be lower.

P.S. Battery time remaining is a meaning less measurement as it depends on what you were doing recently. It is like the car fuel gage measure on how fast you are going instead on the amount of fuel remains in the tank.

5. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Nope, it's fine.

If I'm watching Netflix on battery, I'll only get a 2-2.5 hour life. The 7 - 9 hour claims you're hearing about are only if you're brightness is at 50% and you are typing.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

7. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all. It is my first charge cycle, I am also running it at high brightness and I have sites with both flash and java running. I have the display set to "more space" mode. I guess all of these things (especially brightness and the busy websites running) could contribute to the lower-than-expected battery life.

To be honest I think I am just trying to find things wrong wherever I can to justify returning it... I feel so guilty having something this expensive in my possession!

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Joe, I'll happily relieve your guilt. I'll take that rMBP off your hands for 50 quid, and you can pay me in instalments!

9. jypatl macrumors newbie

I have a little newbie question...If I keep my computer connected to the charger even when at 100% will it still affect my cycle count? Or should I unplug it when I get to 100% each time?

10. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

I would also love someone to answer this question! (Or I could answer it in a few days time).

I take my laptop to uni 3 or so days a week, but the rest of the time it is on charge in my room, will the cycles still go up if plugged in for a long time?

11. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

No they won't go up

12. blkprlz macrumors newbie

The above posted link to the Apple notebook battery faq's answers that, definitely read it all! :D

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the CHARGING and WHAT IS A CYCLE? sections of the Battery FAQ I posted.
    Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the Battery FAQ.

See the pattern? If you have a question related to batteries or charging, it's very likely answered in the Battery FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).