rMBP Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CatharticFlux, Sep 26, 2012.

1. CatharticFlux macrumors member

Brand new rMBP running 10.8.2 and I'm only getting 3:54 estimate at 100%?

I know that this has come up a few times but I thought 10.8.2 was supposed to fix it.

Is it simply a matter of my computer getting better at estimating?

Attached Files:

2. Cassadian macrumors regular

Same with me. I used to get 5 1/2 to 6 hours doing the same things.

3. BB.King macrumors regular

It is an estimate therefore not very accurate, it is based on what the computer was doing recently. It is like the fule gauge on your car going up and down constantly depend on how fast you are driving.

Best measurement is to run down the battery with normal/typic use and note how long the battery last.

I'm getting 7:30 hrs on WIFI with brightness around 66% doing office work and broswing the web. If I have iTunes playing or watch a bit of YouTube, then 5hrs is the best I got.

4. CatharticFlux thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, now it's saying 5:11... I'll have to run a real life test and not worry too much about it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link:
    There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. Crisis, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012

Crisis macrumors member

type this in terminal, with each line followed by an enter

Code:
    cd ~/Library/Preferences/
    rm com.apple.desktop.plist
    killall Dock

I have an rmbp, and it used to have 4 hours battery life as yours (in 10.8.2). I read somewhere online that these lines will remove some sort of service in background. Now i have 6 hours.

Note: Your desktop picture will be reset.

This is what I got when surfing the internet in safari with itunes playing music

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read my post just before yours. What you're seeing is a constantly-changing estimate. It doesn't mean you'll get that much time on a battery charge.

8. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

Did you verify that something isn't causing the discret graphics to be in use all the time? That will certainly slice a couple of hours of your battery time.

When the estimate is showing a low number like that, check the More Info in About to see which graphics chip is being used.

9. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Before 10.8.2 I was getting 3.5 to 4.5 hours. Now I can get up to 5.5 doing some surfing, checking email and watching a few youtube videos. Youtube videos along with other flash based content trains the battery.

This is with my 2.3ghz rMBP with 16gb of memory. I have been told that the more memory you have the more battery drain it has on your system.

edit: Also if I run VMFusion 5 with Windows 7 on top of OSX it kills the battery.