Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexwei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
I'm new here and even after I've read every possible threats about new macbook model's battery, I'm still confused.

How do you guys charge your macbook pro exactly?
I mean do you leave it plugged-in most off the time or you guys just run on batteries and only charge it when you need to?

When I'm gaming or just doing regular stuff, I don't leave it plugged-in unless the battery is getting low.
And I also saw this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4235082?start=0&tstart=0, I really don't understand what the guy was saying...

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How do you guys charge your macbook pro exactly?
I mean do you leave it plugged-in most off the time or you guys just run on batteries and only charge it when you need to?
Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
When I'm gaming or just doing regular stuff, I don't leave it plugged-in unless the battery is getting low.
If you're gaming or running other intensive tasks, plug it in if AC power is available. There's no need to run on battery if AC power is available. Just be sure to run on battery regularly to keep it healthy.

alexwei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Thank you!! I've read that too.
But here's one thing I still don't understand: Does the battery cycle really matters?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you!! I've read that too.
But here's one thing I still don't understand: Does the battery cycle really matters?
Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section to understand how cycles work. Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of it's original capacity for up to 1000 cycles. It is important to cycle the battery regularly. That doesn't mean fully drain and recharge. Running on battery for at least a few hours every few days will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.