rMBP best option Media Center

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisfromalbany, Jul 30, 2012.

1. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

I got a rMBP and have old PC with 2 Tb of music/pics/movies. What is the best and in-expense option so I can decommission the older PC. Thinking maybe an advanced router with HD unit built in or a USB port on router to add external HD.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have a mac mini in the living room plugged into the tv. It has a 2TB and a 3TB hard drive plugged into it. I use XBMC and Plex. You could just plug your rMBP into a TV using HDMI.

3. Inver, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

Inver macrumors newbie

I'm looking into the same thing. I have an older (3.5 years) PC as my home computer, attached to my HDTV, and it's probably unnecessary (and certainly not as good a fit) with my MBP, iPad, iPhone, etc.

I'm trying to decide between a mac mini, which will give me full computer functionality, or Apple TV, which will give me 90% of what I need. I won't have a CD/DVD option, bluray will not be available (not that it would be with a mini), and I'll need to leave my rMBP on to play things on the hard drive (music, etc.). I'm leaning towards attaching a drive to my Time Capsule and then going with ATV. It's a cheaper investment, and probably all that I need.

Good luck whichever you choose.

4. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i'm also wondering if i should just plug in an external drive to my Airport Extreme, and use my MBPR and an Apple TV..

but right now i'm waiting to see what Apple has in plans for the future Mac Mini, i can only imagine it getting thinner :)