Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vettori13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hey,

I have a refurbished 2012 15' rMBP, it is only around 6 months old. Recently I have noticed these strange patches appear in two corners of the screen.

The photo is bad but it looks like an area of the bezel where the black part has come off, leaving a shiny grey area.

I haven't seen anything chip off and the laptop lives a fairly sheltered life so I have no idea how this could happen.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers.

Attachments

• DSC00907.JPG
    DSC00907.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
I haven't heard of any cases about the bezel chipping, and without any pictures it's hard to see what you mean exactly.

Vettori13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Sorry the pictures don't seem to upload. It is really annoying. It says they are attached. I will try again.

Attachments

• DSC00906.JPG
    DSC00906.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 84

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That appears to be the coating on the glass coming off. Do you use anything to clean the display?

I've seen a couple of threads where this is going and I believe that in at least one case the person used something that affected the coating.

Vettori13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks for the replies!

Not that I am aware of, I usually just use the cloth that came with the laptop.

Would rubbing the screen too hard cause some of the coating to come off? Because sometimes there are hard to remove patches of dirt that take a little while to clean. Though I am not sure why only the corners of the screen are affected.

Thanks.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
See this thread...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1624907/

Seems like its happening to others as well. Someone mentioned that it happened to their 2008 unibody MacBook too, so this issue has probably been around for a while. It may be a defect in the way the screen coating was applied.

I would take in to the Apple Store since you are still under warranty and see what they'll do for you.

Best of Luck!

Vettori13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks for the link! I tried searching for a similar thread earlier but couldn't quite find the right words.

It seems like mine is fairly minor compared to what others are experiencing. It doesn't bother me too much at this point but, since I have around 5 months left on my warranty, I have some time to see if it gets worse :)

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
Why wait? It is faulty now, get it replaced now and you still have time for any faults with the replacement to be solved if there is any.

Barney

Vettori13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Why wait? It is faulty now, get it replaced now and you still have time for any faults with the replacement to be solved if there is any.

Barney

Thanks, that is a good point. It just doesn't bother me too much at this point. I will have to back up and then restore all my stuff if I get a replacement which could take a while and could interfere with my university work.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
You're unlikely to get a replacement, they will just replace the screen/lid.
By doing that they will also not have to wipe the SSD/HDD so although you should back it up, there shouldn't be any need for a restore.

Barney

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
These days I have access to two relatively modern Macs, but before I got the second machine it would have been highly inconvenient to go without a laptop for a few days, and I would not have had it repaired for what seems like a small cosmetic issue. So I understand why the OP is not in a hurry to have it repaired.

That is not even taking into account the (small) possibility that the replacement screen could have some imperfections...

On the other hand I also hope that the OP always has a backup... so having to make one should not be a factor here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.