rMBP bluetooth and wifi interference

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bkribbs, May 31, 2014.

1. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I was going to buy a magic mouse but remembered that bluetooth and wifi frequently interfere on rMBPs. Not sure it is is all of them, but at least my model.

So my question is- can I buy a USB dongle that enables bluetooth, as if my computer didn't have it otherwise? And if so, would that even help?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If you really want to get around having any interference, then use 5 ghz on wifi. Bluetooth uses 2.4 ghz.

I use bluetooth and wifi on 2.4 ghz all the time, and I have no issues. I am surprised that you are having problems with it.

Getting a bluetooth dongle will not have any effect, unless if you are experiencing a problem unrelated to the 2.4 ghz frequency. Whether the bluetooth signal is being transmitted from a USB dongle or inside the computer shouldn't make much of a difference.

3. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Well at home I do, but I cannot always control it.

Do you have a rMBP? The theory is that because the two are on the same card, the signals interfere, which is why I thought perhaps an external adapter might help.

It's a very common problem with rMBPs.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have had a mbp and a rmbp. Neither showed this issue.

5. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting. Well if I can find a good deal on a magic mouse I'll try it out, but it is definitely fairly common. Thanks for the advice!