rMBP body makes a "clicking" noise...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Keinding, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Keinding macrumors newbie

Hi all!

Got my rMBP few days ago, and I noticed, when I sit with it on my lap, and tilt it to the right of left, there is click sound as the bottom aluminium panel touches whatever is above it from inside..

it doesn't effect anything, but I wonder if it's something that is normal with the aluminium body, as it is my first mac...

It'll be cool, if you could close the lid, turn the mac over, and just press on the panel at different places, do you have it as well??

seems like nothing serious, but I wonder :)

Cheers!

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Return it!

You should be very happy when you spend that kind of money. I hope to buy one in the next month and trust me, I will be incredibly picky with mine!

3. rvernier macrumors newbie

rvernier

I have the exact same thing! It happens on the bottom left of the unibody, right under the keyboard and to the left of the trackpad.

4. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Mine makes a slight creak too, if I tip it upside down you can see where the bottom panel is not flush. I could unscrew the screws and set it straight but I really can't be bothered as the computer runs fine and I know as soon as I try to make this thing perfect I'll either get a huge scratch or drop it... Just enjoy what you have, unless it is really a busted unibody just enjoy the powerhouse you have in you disposal.

5. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

Mine had slight creaking noises when I picked it up or deliberately put pressure on certain areas, however after around 10 days or so that creaking noise has completely gone.

Just try to give it time to 'bed in', I don't why it has disappeared but maybe the same will happen to yours.

6. Keinding thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for checking!
    funny, mine is exactly on the other side, around the bottom of the "L" key..
    BTW the sound sounds like a bit like the clicking on the touchpad.. no?

7. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Mine actually got worse with the heat. Hence why I had a look, but as I mention I know as soon as I try and fix the issue karma will strike and score a deep gash in the lid... Never tempt fait

8. katmeef macrumors 6502

My 2.6/16/512 bto was doing this and the genius said it would need a top and bottom case replacement (and I'd be without it 5-7 days) as the foam at the back wasn't sitting correctly. With the machine being less than 2 weeks since delivery I made arrangements to return it and grabbed the 2.7/16/768 in stock at the store.

2 days later it's now making the same noise too! I think maybe it's from having the laptop between my knees and stomach when sitting on the couch, possibly causing the unibody to flex. My kuzy hard case came today, I'm hoping it will provide some more rigidity to prevent additional flexing or warping of the unibody.

I will live with it and near the end of warranty bring it in for the top/bottom case replacement, along with the battery/trackpad/keyboard that goes with the top case :)

9. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I had this issue along with other defective problems through the exchanging game of 8 rMBPs and I encountered several of them that had a creaking sound on the bottom plate. The easiest way to fix this issue is purchasing your own pentalobe screwdriver to fix it. Just unscrew them and screw them back on half way than tighten after. Most of the creaking is heard on the left bottom of the lid opener facing you, otherwise the other parts of the unibody seems quite normal. The right side is heard slightly due to it contracting to the battery which I found normal when I tested on most of the 8 rMBPs I exchanged.

10. IPlayFair macrumors member

Just in case you missed it, here's another thread with others experiencing the same problem.

11. dabbler macrumors member

Mine did this and got worse, I picked up a set of pentalobe screwdrivers from amazon, tightened the bottom case screws and now its perfect.

I assume that the body must expand and contract from the heat, hence loosening the screws.