rMBP Bootcamp Display Drivers Bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zigzag801, Aug 25, 2012.

1. zigzag801 macrumors member

I put Windows 7 Boot Camp on my rMBP yesterday and have been able to use it for about 7 hours now with no issues. During that 7 hours I was playing a game, watching a live stream, and downloading Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 finished and I started playing that for about two hours. All of a sudden however the screen faded to black and would not "wake" up. I did just about everything I could do besides partitioning...

-Closed the lid, re-opened (The default desktop image flickered then went back to black)

-Pressed F2 for brightness just in case

-Rebooted the computer

-Rebooted the computer into Safe-Mode (I was able to get back to Win7 from here)

The last thing that actually worked caught my interest because it shows that Windows 7 itself was ok, but just the display wasn't working. I found through some searching that I needed to delete the Display Drivers and reboot. I did that, and Windows 7 installed the default drivers. This made the display 1600x1200, not the retina of 2880x1800. So I went to my Boot Camp driver thumbdrive that I created when doing the BootCamp process and re-installed the nVidia drivers used for Win7_32 (I do have 32 bit, idk why I didn't do 64). After I installed them and rebooted the computer it went back to the broken way...boot up, shows the "Windows" then black screen until I shut down my computer.

I am stumped on what to do. Am I doomed to 1600x1200 until Nvidia comes out with better drivers? Or is there another fix for this kind of problem? Is anyone else with an rMBP having this issue in Boot Camp?

2. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

3. zigzag801 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I will give this a shot later tonight! I was able to get the resolution to 1920x1200 and have been playing Guild Wars 2 the last 8 hours with no issues what so ever. May even keep it like this because I can actually read the text now :p. The rMBP also works on the ThunderBolt monitor perfectly with no issues. So it must just be the retina resolution that is giving me the black screen.