rMBP boots to black screen and crashes with dGPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nateo200, Dec 28, 2013.

1. nateo200, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

So my early 2013 retina MacBook Pro has been acting up. It randomly crashed and rebooted to the gray screen with the ding and before the login screen it just went black, it was still on as the keyboard back light was glowing but it refused to show anything on the display, normally if the displays LED backlight is off I can barely make out my desktop but this time I couldn't. So I plugged it into my TV via HDMI and both displays magically turned on (the internal lid display and my TV) in both mirror mode and the other mode, discrete GPU ran and I disconnected from the TV. I closed the lid after working a bit and opened it up and it went to my desktop then rebooted its self and did the same thing. Now if I force integrated graphics this doesn't happen and I can open and close the lid as much as I like. I did a PRAM reset early on and it didn't help except reset settings like resolution, and my desktop which I expected. I found an Apple forum discussion with pretty much the same issue but I'd like some to chime in on what the problem is, maybe my discrete GPU is broken? Heres the help article: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23001410

Genius bar will be my next option but id prefer to see if it's something I can fix from home.

2. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I would first perform an SMC reset and see if that fixes anything. If not, then I would suggest bringing it into an Apple Retail Store and booking a Genius Bar Appointment.

3. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

So it crashed on the integrated GPU now....damn...well just did an SMC reset and its playing nice on both GPU's for now but ill have to wait and see if it crashes again. Sort of annoying that this happens but we'll see how this plays out. Its been getting slightly more usable since it first happened 2 days ago but I've been living off my tablet which would be fine if I didnt need my laptop at the moment for work.

4. nateo200, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

So its a broken GPU, the discrete one and part of the logic board -_- Kernal panics gave the issue away and the tech didn't look surprised. Sitting here with 3 other people at the genius bar with the same issue...strange.

They didn't have a logic board in the store which was kind of a bummer but my last back up was about 3 weeks old so It ended up working well. I backed up to a brand new external using Super Duper.