rmbp bottom

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
is it supposed to feel hollow i mean i tap it and it feels hollow and even makes creaking sounds when i take my laptop in my hands?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2009
Colorado
Mine doesn't feel that way at all. I think the screws at the bottom may need to be reseated. Take it to an Apple store or get a Pentalobe screw-driver and DIY.

Comment

rrm998

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Houston, TX USA
I think "hollow" and "creaking" are different things. If you tap on the bottom, it does sound a bit hollow. There is air space in there to permit cooling.

Comment

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
I think "hollow" and "creaking" are different things. If you tap on the bottom, it does sound a bit hollow. There is air space in there to permit cooling.
it makes metallic/glass like sound when i press it around the centre like two very little solid wires touching dunno how to describe it.i think its from the components below(board?)
dunno if its normal
maybe im just getting too paranoid after i dropped my school backpack on it heh

Last edited:
Comment

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
ok i did a little bit of research and the problem is that it does make contact with something but its normal "by design" and every laptop does it

i cant belive how havent more people here noticed it.

Comment

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
it makes metallic/glass like sound when i press it around the centre like two very little solid wires touching dunno how to describe it.i think its from the components below(board?)
dunno if its normal
I don't know about the rMBP, but the uMBPs have flexible contact fingers that connect the mainboard to the bottom cover for RF grounding purposes. The bottom plate is grounded at the outer edges, but that grounding essentially doesn't exist at multi GHz frequencies.

Also, uMBPs have two snaps, each located about a couple of inches from each side of the case center. Anytime that you re-attach the bottom cover, and all screws have been tightened, you press on it at both snaps to engage them. This maintains grounding contact and minimizes flexing of the bottom cover.

Comment

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
yup those two snaps supposedly make this metallic noise when they touch the case

Comment

kirky1234

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Had this issue with my first rmbp and returned it because it bothered me too much...
My replacement isn't perfect either but it's definitely better than the first in that regard. Your choice what to do!

Comment

DTKblaster

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
dunno if its normal
I get the exact same thing, it sounds like the rustling of one of them metal scrubbing sponges, a kind of crinkling sound. Its very faint, and I have to put my ear next to it to hear it.

Comment