rmbp bottom

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbpuser, Sep 29, 2012.

1. rmbpuser macrumors 6502

is it supposed to feel hollow i mean i tap it and it feels hollow and even makes creaking sounds when i take my laptop in my hands?

2. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Mine doesn't feel that way at all. I think the screws at the bottom may need to be reseated. Take it to an Apple store or get a Pentalobe screw-driver and DIY.

3. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I think "hollow" and "creaking" are different things. If you tap on the bottom, it does sound a bit hollow. There is air space in there to permit cooling.

4. rmbpuser, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

rmbpuser thread starter macrumors 6502

it makes metallic/glass like sound when i press it around the centre like two very little solid wires touching dunno how to describe it.i think its from the components below(board?)
    dunno if its normal
    maybe im just getting too paranoid after i dropped my school backpack on it heh

5. rmbpuser thread starter macrumors 6502

ok i did a little bit of research and the problem is that it does make contact with something but its normal "by design" and every laptop does it

i cant belive how havent more people here noticed it.

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the rMBP, but the uMBPs have flexible contact fingers that connect the mainboard to the bottom cover for RF grounding purposes. The bottom plate is grounded at the outer edges, but that grounding essentially doesn't exist at multi GHz frequencies.

Also, uMBPs have two snaps, each located about a couple of inches from each side of the case center. Anytime that you re-attach the bottom cover, and all screws have been tightened, you press on it at both snaps to engage them. This maintains grounding contact and minimizes flexing of the bottom cover.

7. rmbpuser thread starter macrumors 6502

yup those two snaps supposedly make this metallic noise when they touch the case

8. kirky1234 macrumors member

Had this issue with my first rmbp and returned it because it bothered me too much...
    My replacement isn't perfect either but it's definitely better than the first in that regard. Your choice what to do!

9. DTKblaster macrumors member

I get the exact same thing, it sounds like the rustling of one of them metal scrubbing sponges, a kind of crinkling sound. Its very faint, and I have to put my ear next to it to hear it.