rMBP bricked twice in a month

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vladid, Oct 11, 2012.

1. vladid macrumors member

About two weeks ago, I was browsing in Chrome when the active apps partially froze and the CPU (?) fan turned up to max speed. Shortly thereafter, the entire system froze up.

I held down the power button for 8 seconds to force shut it down. The restart was unsuccessful, as the screen would go black shortly after the system (or recovery) partition was selected.

So I took it to the GB, the tech told me the partitions got corrupted and the only way to get the rMBP going was to install 10.8 off an external drive. So I did and reinstalled my entire system.

Today I headed to BB to get a USB3 external disk to use as TM backup disk. As fate has it, right as I was going to do a full backup, the browser froze, the fan sped up and then the computer locked up.

Now I can't even boot into the external recovery disk. Swell, guess I'll be returning this rMBP for a new one. :mad:

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

3. vladid thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like it indeed.

4. vladid thread starter macrumors member

5. vladid thread starter macrumors member

I did manage to restart using Cmd-R... repairing the disk was unsuccessful, apparently some leaf count was off by one and couldn't be repaired (repairing volume failed: disk object invalid). :confused:

Repartitioned the disk and am now reinstalling 10.8. Meh... :mad:

6. katmeef macrumors 6502

Try the apple hardware test, I had a rMBP fail with a sata code and had it replaced

7. newdeal macrumors 68020

Dont reinstall anything let it corrupt itself and take it right to the apple store and demand either a replacement or new ssd on the spot

8. vladid thread starter macrumors member

Good point, except I am traveling and need the machine to work. :eek:

Thanks for the input all, I'll run some tests and see what I can come up with.

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

how much work can you get done when everything gets corrupted at random?

10. vladid thread starter macrumors member

Not much. Last week the SSD corrupted again, so I took it in. Apple replaced the SSD and also installed a new screen (image retention / ghosting issue).

Now everything seems to be working as intended.

11. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Was it just when using Chrome?