rMBP buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pearsonnunn, Jul 23, 2013.

  1. pearsonnunn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 22, 2013
    #1
    It seems like haswell rMBP's won't be coming out until september now. I've been waiting since before WWDC in June for a refresh, and I don't want to wait two more months for something that may or may not happen. I have the educational discount and I don't want to miss out on the $100 gift card for the back to school promo. My problem is that I want the most for what I am going to buy. Are the HD5100 graphics really going to be that much better? Will the battery improve as much as the airs did? I want the 13 inch model, but I'm not sure if the graphics of the current hd4000 can handle what I will be doing (video/photo editing). Do you think I should wait for the haswell update or take advantage of the back to school offer?
     
  2. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    Location:
    Always Somewhere
    #2
    if you need more GPU, please move to 15 retina.
    u can buy refurbished from apple and it will come with 1 year warranty, so dony worry
    u will get 2 optional GPU.

    I'm not sure 13 haswell air will better for video editing processing than nvidia in 15 retina

    a month ago, i have buy 13 retina and just a week I decided to upgraded 15 and now i'm satisfied.
     
  3. pearsonnunn thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 22, 2013
    #3
    I like the idea of the 15 inch but I would prefer to have the 13 inch though. I feel that the 13 inch is more portable and I need portablity carrying around at work/school. Another reason I would like to have the 13 inch is price, even with refurbished pricing I can't afford the 15 inch! The 13 inch just makes more sense to me, so do you think I should go ahead and buy it now or wait?
     
  4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #4
    I prefer the 13-inch form factor. Nothing wrong with the weight of the 15-inch, but to me the size of the overall machine is too big.

    The Haswell rMBP should get an extra few hours of battery, say 9 or 10 hours. I really say only buy now if you absolutely need it. I'm going to wait the 1.5 months for a much better Mac.
     
  5. pearsonnunn thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 22, 2013
    #5
    I would wait I just want the $100 gift card and I want to have a solid machine I can use now for my summer job. Currently the machine I use lags when I use the software I need, so that's why I want to upgrade. And if I get the $100 gift card I could download some solid software like aperture or the whole iWork suite that I would buy anyway. Battery life is not an issue just gpu power. If the hd 4000 is a good enough gpu to run all the adobe suite programs and some articulate programs in a windows virtual machine then I will get the early 2013 ivy bridge. If not I'll just wait for the hd5100 on the haswell update.
     
  6. Dan2013 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2013
    #6
    Get a refurb rMBP if you need it for college, if you dont need it for college get the haswell in sept/oct. I just got the 15" rMBP a week ago from the apple refurb store. It has been amazing. Smells brand new, looks brand new, and only came with 1 battery cycle. If your in the market for a rMBP now, do NOT buy a new one. The best deal is buying a refurbished.
     
  7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #7
    Mac mall has ridiculous deals too
     
  8. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2012
    #8
    lol buy now or wait thread.....

    u want a 13inch? with the new intel 5000 from haswell, their isnt gonna be on for any 13inch model
     
  9. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

    dazlicous

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Manchester
    #9
    If your after a 13" I would deffo be waiting it out Iris 5100 which should be in the 13" is a massive GFX boost over HD4000
     
  10. fskywalker macrumors 65816

    fskywalker

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #10
    Buy a 13 inch refurbished / open box rMBP now, you will get a great price, can always sold it later if the new Haswell rMBP's are really a lot better and you can justify the extra cash for a machine at FULL retail price.
     
  11. jonnysods macrumors 601

    jonnysods

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Location:
    There & Back Again
    #12
    If you want to stick to the 13 I would wait for the new ones. The new Intel GPU will be way better than the 4000.

    Otherwise get the 15 now...
     
  12. n0id macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2008
    #13

    A couple things to note here:

    1) at this point, it would not be advisable to buy the current gen as new...With an update right around the corner, you'd be buying last years tech at the same/more than what will be released

    2) Any update will be after the BTS promo....so you wont get the $100 on anything new coming out.

    3) with #1 and #2 together...buying refurb is your best option. You'll not only save around $400 on the current gen...but it will be available after the update in Sept....so you can wait to decide then. Either way...you've covered the cost of the $100 BTS promo by buying refurb.


    Personal note: IMHO, it makes absolutely no sense to buy any mac's right now just because of the BTS promo, with the exception of the MBA that just updated in June. Any other macs should be bought refurb to cover the $100 cost and then some for last years tech.
     
  13. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    Location:
    Always Somewhere
    #14
    actually, 15 retina is same with 13" mbp :D (for weight)
     
  14. pearsonnunn thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 22, 2013
    #15
    I like this advise the most.I hadn't considered buying refurb in a serious way before. What makes a machine refurbished compared to used?
     
  15. tgi macrumors 65816

    tgi

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    #16
    The fact that someone has used it before and probably returned it in their original 14 day window. The machine runs through numerous tests before being put back on sale as refurbished. To some, refurbished units are regarded as better than new because of the tests they go through and the fact they still carry the original 1 year manufacturer warranty.

    Used is buying the machine from someone off eBay/craigslist that they have used for awhile. The machine will only have warranty if you purchased it from them within the 1st year of them buying it new. You can always extend the warranty by purchasing additional Apple Care.
     
  16. pearsonnunn thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 22, 2013
    #17
    Looks like I should probably get a refurbished rMBP then. Do you think the apple store by my house will have any refurbs? Or should I order online? Finally does apple negotiate on refurbished items? I know you can make offers to best buy for open box items but does apple do this?
     
  17. fskywalker macrumors 65816

    fskywalker

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #18
    Apple Stores do not carry refurbished; when someone return a machine they have to ship it back to Apple. I understand you can only pickup at the store refurbished machines bought online.
     
  18. tgi macrumors 65816

    tgi

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    #19
    I don't think you can haggle with Apple. Their refurbished discounts are generally better than BB open box.

    This is correct, refurbished units need to be bought online and shipped to the Apple store or home.
     
  19. falconeight Guest

    falconeight

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
  20. pearsonnunn thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 22, 2013
    #21
    Well looks like with the sale best buy is having I'll be going there in the morning and picking up a new rMBP. Thanks for all the advise, but this deal is too good to pass up! $300 off!
     

Share This Page