rMBP cannot handle Google Maps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Dec 5, 2014.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Overall, I've been quite pleased with my new 15" rMBP (mid-2014 base model). The screen is beautiful and the machine is snappy. However, I was just using Google Maps and the experience is as painfully laggy as it was on my old machine. I noticed when the Google Maps interface changed, in the past year or so, it got really painful to use on my old computer. Street view is now so much slower and it takes longer for the graphics to render. Scarcely anything causes my new rMBP to break a sweat but Google Maps does. My machine heats to 80 degrees C. Could the Iris Pro graphics not be up to snuff? Is the experience quite better with the 750m?

2. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

What happens when you try to use the old Google Maps interface (it is still accessible; I use it)?

3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Infinitely better. I didn't know you could still go back to Classic maps.

But still I ponder, how could a company pushing anemic Chromebooks create such a CPU/GPU-intensive monster? Hopefully they figure out a way to lighten up the new Google Maps -- or never abandon the old.

4. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

I went and bought an iPad 2 Air yesterday and today I downloaded the Google Maps app. I was stunned how well it worked, and how well it interfaced with Safari.

In planning my trip for UK (departing this week), I easily zoomed down to street level, noted stores, restaurants, etc., was able to tap, swipe and launch into a mini browser with the option of jumping to Safari, and all back again. Wife was equally impressed at how Google Maps developed since the version on our iPhone 5 units running iOS 6.1.3.

But I will say that this version of Google Maps was advertised on the App Store as being for the iPad. I cannot imagine the differences would be any different on a rMBP.

5. ChrisDB macrumors member

ChrisDB

Intel Iris is too weak for proper 3d rendering on the retina display !

Simply put you bought an expensive machine that cannot even handle something as basic as google maps .

I'm in the same situation and I'm very mad . Apple is making fun of us with the GPU in iPad Air 2 being more powerful than the one in retina macbook pro !

6. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Unknown what issues iris has but I have the iris pro chip and no lag nor other issues with Google Maps and 3D rendering. Just to let you know. ;)