Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
I really don't know what is going on.

I tried both ports on my rMBP, it powers on, spinning nicely but nothing available in disk utility or in startup menu.

The driver is just fine, it works on my late 2010 MBA and Early 2008 MBA, as well as on my PC desktop...

Please don't tell me that retinaMBP does not have enough juice to run this external drive... :(

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Just loaded up a Toshiba usb 3.0 last night and the rmbp detected it without a problem. However, it wouldn't see my Seagate freeagent 3.0, and disk utility told me it needed repairs. I returned it to costco instead and will use my Toshiba for now. The Seagate did what you describe with yours, but disk utility would see it, so might try that again?

Mags88

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
I really don't know what is going on.

I tried both ports on my rMBP, it powers on, spinning nicely but nothing available in disk utility or in startup menu.

The driver is just fine, it works on my late 2010 MBA and Early 2008 MBA, as well as on my PC desktop...

Please don't tell me that retinaMBP does not have enough juice to run this external drive... :(

Same thing happened with my 2012 13" MBP. It would not detect the toshiba drive, but my girlfriend 2011 MBP 13" would detect it. Both would power it up. But the 2012 would not mount it, nor viewable in the disk utility.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
Wow... this is really annoying!

I just tried same drive with a regular micro-usb to usb2.0 cable (from my blackberry) and it works like a charm!

if I switch cable to the original toshiba usb3.0 cable it only spins and nothing happens...:confused:

----------

Try a different cable, sometimes that's the issue.

I tried another usb3.0 cable from seagate freeagent external drive already, same thing happening...:(

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Wow... this is really annoying!

I just tried same drive with a regular micro-usb to usb2.0 cable (from my blackberry) and it works like a charm!

if I switch cable to the original toshiba usb3.0 cable it only spins and nothing happens...:confused:

----------

I tried another usb3.0 cable from seagate freeagent external drive already, same thing happening...:(

You just troubleshooted your own problem. Clearly its the cable, but why is the question.

If it works with a 2.0 cable then the drive works.

Try using the 2.0 cable, formatting the HDD, unmounting then trying the 3.0 cable.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Avoid Toshiba at all cost. There a reason why their stuff is lower in price compared to their competitors. This is speaking from experience.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
Avoid Toshiba at all cost. There a reason why their stuff is lower in price compared to their competitors. This is speaking from experience.

I have 4 of this 1tb hdd and all works perfectly on my macbooks and pcs. I am not saying they are the best but they just work for me.

Thanks!

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Yep. Toshiba 3.0 drives have issues with MacBooks from the start. Google it. Then, return it and get a WD My Passport.

Seagate Go Flex is actually better. The reason is the WD portable drives integrate the ports in a proprietary format so if your connector goes bad, there no way to put the hdd into a different enclosure to retrieve your data. Again, speaking from experience...lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.