rMBP Case Creaking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by choffy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. choffy macrumors member

choffy

Just got my rMBP today, and so far the machine is great... except that when the laptop isn't on a desk, the case is very creaky. It's most noticable when the laptop is picked up from the lap, but you can hear it just from adjusting it on my lap.

This is my first MacBook, but I have had experience using them and haven't heard of such an issue before, though I'm sure other people have had it as well. I'm simply wondering what my options are. I set up a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow morning but I'd also rather not spend the gas money to drive to it (it's rather far). I would see if I could tighten the screws but I need a screwdriver with a special head to do so.

Just want to deal with it now since it's brand new, rather than a year or so once it becomes a potentially bigger issue.

2. vladzaharia macrumors regular

There was a thread about this a few days ago. Check the screws, are any of them loose? If so, take it to an Apple Store or get a pentalobe screwdriver and tighten them yourself.

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

4. RS2 macrumors member

Mine is exactly the same. I plan to take it to an Apple Store when I have time. I'm not going to return it since it will take weeks to get a new one. Probably it's just the screws that need to be tightned.

5. RS2 macrumors member

This is strange. The bottom case around some screws are not fixed. But the screws can't be tightened. The screws are too long or the holes are not deep enough.

6. dailybibliotaph, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

dailybibliotaph macrumors member

Guys this is a known problem - I was one of the first to report it a few weeks ago. The problem seems to be two fold:

1. Some of the screws seemed to be over-toroqued at factory causing a slight bending in the bottom case. This causes the creaking noise. When you pick it up, especially when the lid is open, you cause the bottom case to flex causing the creak or popping sound. It seems to be fixed when torqued properly. If done yourself make sure you tighten the screws progressively and sequentially.

2. Some screws seem to stick out even when completely torqued down.. There is no fix for this and requires a replacement. Problem seems to be wide spread enough that many demo models also suffer from this.

Mine suffered from both these defects and my replacement has been flawless, no creaks and perfectly flush bottom case. Don't settle and get a proper replacement. They got mine in 2 days, even though the quote was 3 to 4 weeks.

7. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I'm going to guess they'll let you keep the current one before the replacement arrives? That was my experience with Dell, I'm sure Apple would do the same..

8. dailybibliotaph macrumors member

Definitely Apple's policy.

9. iViking macrumors 6502

Did you get a replacement at the Apple Store or by calling Apple and having them send one?

10. dailybibliotaph macrumors member

Went to my local Apple Store in NYC. I think it would have taken longer via phone service center to get a replacement.

11. Hrim macrumors member

I spoke today with a tech guy at Apple Expresslane, he said to bring it back to the store. I will go today and hopefully leave the place with a new macbook.

12. Choorel macrumors newbie

Replacement for Creaking

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with Apple. They said that they will send me a new one as soon as mine is marked as shipped back to them. It will suck to be without it for a few days waiting for the new one, but hopefully it will be creak free.

I always get worried when getting a replacement, with dead pixels and all that, but I will just have to take my chances.

13. Tr3y macrumors newbie

Mine has the same problem when I put pressure on the right side. :(

14. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

Creaky case here but otherwise perfect. So bought pentalobe driver on eBay 1.2mm and 1/2 the screws were loose. Gently snugged them down and now no creaks.:cool: $5 well spent.

15. Dralt macrumors member

OK, listen, this is important, is it creaking or is it more like croaking? Just want to make sure we are on the same page here.

16. ihakim macrumors member

Can someone post a video of the creaking so we have some frame of reference? Mine creaks slightly, but I can barely hear it and I'm not sure if it's the same that has been mentioned in all of these posts.

17. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

This is being discussed over at /r/Apple on Reddit. Here is the comments page (I am Kimolas).

18. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

My base model was creaking.. i upgraded to the 512 and its fine. It's definitely not "normal" rMBP behavior.