rMBP Clicking Hinge - Is this Normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GCWB, Jul 23, 2012.

1. GCWB macrumors member

Hi, I've had a couple issues with my rMBP now, and I've been confident that all of them were software based. I'm here to ask about the thread topic, but I will touch on the other problem I've had, to see if there could be any possible connection.

The issues I've had?
    1) GPU failing with a couple third party applications when awaking the laptop, requiring restart. I believe VLC was one of the culprits. When you put your laptop to sleep in full screen mode, and returned, it would cause 'tearing' (for which a thread has already been circulating somewhere here for a bit) that could only be fixed by restarting the system.

2) The most recent and worrying? Whenever I move my laptop screen (change the orientation of the hinge) I hear clicking. It doesn't sound right at all. The hinge moves smoothly, but I hear this loud clicking as if you were flexing some PVC or something was about to snap.

By recent... I mean I've had it for as long as I can remember.
    I have a BTO rMBP, 512GB SSD, 18GB RAM and the 2.7GHZ processor.

Should I be worried? Or should I take the machine in.

2. Lvivske macrumors regular

If you push down on the bottom of it do you hear a creaking, cracking, too? I noticed this on mine and it weirded me out

near the area with the info and name on the bottom

3. GCWB thread starter macrumors member

Yes exactly that... in fact. Even if I just merely pick up my laptop... I hear clicking. This Can't be right. Right?

4. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Mine creas and cracks on the underside. Most likely needs a screw tightening. Make an appointment with a genius. I will when i get round to it.

5. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

Mine does the same things. Doesn't matter where you pick it up, it always makes snapping noises.

6. importraverxx macrumors member

Yup, mine had creaking issues too. Made and appointment with genius bar and swap for a new one and very solid now, not even one creak.

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Many are just having the Apple Store tighten the underside screws.

8. GCWB thread starter macrumors member

Ah right... I'll definitely take it in then.

9. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Just noticed a click noise on my hinge when closing it slightly. I have to let it settle a bit to replicate the sound again. I first noticed this when I heard this click whenever a closed down the system.

Can someone confirm this?